Advice: New macbooks/pro for photoshop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheapa55, Oct 14, 2008.

1. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting forever for these new ones to come out and now I don't know which to get. I will use this laptop for all around, but I think my most intensive program I'll use is Photoshop CS3. I occasionally make iMovies but that's it.

Now which new macbook or pro should I get (especially regarding graphics card)? Money is not an issue, but I don't want to get an overkill machine for what I do.

thanks for any advice

2. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Photoshop CS3 runs great on my current 15" MBP 2.4.

I'd say the high end MP or the low end MBP should be plenty !
    At the time I bought the MBP because I wanted a matte screen. It's a different story today.

You may still want to bump your machine to 4gb though, that helps.

Also, I use a fast firewire reader to dump my files during catwalks - don't forget the MB has no more FW !

Ralph

3. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!. I'll def be upgrading to 4GB ram either way. FW won't be much of an issue since everything I have is usb.

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Frankly Photoshop CS3 runs fast enough on my 2.0GHz white MacBook with crappy Intel graphics and 2 GB RAM.

What are you using now (especially if a Mac)?

If it's pre-Core 2 Duo, whatever you buy will be faster. And any new MacBook should be faster than any previous one. The MBP... Today's low-end may not be nearly as fast as the previous high-end model.

5. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks Doug! I currently use 2.4ghz alum iMac 24" at home. Had a VAIO 11" laptop but sold that several months ago. I think I'll enjoy a small notebook like the MB. I hope my imac will be able to handle what I can't with the new MB.

6. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If you will have the iMac anyway, why not just use that for Photoshop?

7. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like to be in the living room (while watching tv) and not my office to do everything I need to do. Also I like to take it to work and do anything if I need to.

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

In that case if I were you I'd sell the iMac and with the extra money buy the MBP which aside from the smaller display should do everything the iMac does.