Advice on 15" MacBook Pro configurations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dferigmu, Sep 3, 2009.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I’ve decided to finally upgrade my five year old Powerbook G4 to a 15” MacBook Pro. I’m pretty much set on all the configurations, except for two: the hard drive and the screen.

For the hard drive, I definitely want to upgrade to the 500GB because I need as much space as I can get. Is it worth the extra $50 to get the 7200 rpm version instead of the 5400 rpm? Would there be a significant performance boost?

In terms of the screen, what are the main benefits and drawbacks of the glossy display vs. the anti-glare display? Is the anti-glare display worth the extra $50? I’ve been happy with my Powerbook’s matte display, but since I don’t use my laptop outside and don’t do intensive graphics work, should I just try the glossy display? Or are the reflections really annoying for those of you who have used it long term?

Thanks for the help!

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would search the forums here for details on the experiences of others on the glossy and matte displays- there have been many discussions already on your specific question.

I just got a glossy 15" macbook pro and love it. I get glare sometimes but I am usually using it with most of the lights out watching football on TV or late in the day inside so I don't notice much glare.

I would say if you plan on using it most of the time in a really bright room during the day then consider the matte, but only if the light is behind you. It is such a bright display when it needs to be I can usually get it situated so I don't get much glare- and I tend not to notice it when it does glare a little.

3. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There will be a decent speed boost, so if you can afford the 7200RPM hard drive, get it.

The glossy screen in my opinion has better color. All the colors are vibrant and pop out better than a Matte screen. Only get the Matte screen if think a reflection will bother you.