Advice on 24" wall mounted iMac (please post your set-up)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fuzzy14, May 29, 2009.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I am just about to embark on some major building works in my house, removing a wall from between my kitchen and dining room to create a big open plan space. Since I spend a lot of time cooking, listening to my iPod, and rarely have access to my TV/MacBook (wife/kids) I was thinking of putting a 32" LCD TV on the dinning room wall. However the more I think about it, I think a better 'media solution' would be mounting an iMac on the wall, especially since my G3 iMac is running out of puff.

I asked the bloke at the Apple Store in Glasgow and he says it's possible with the Apple cinema display but not the 24" iMac, but he did tell me to search the web as there may be 3rd party brackets that would do the job. Strangely, the web showed up that Apple make the bracket!

Can anybody confirm or post some pictures of a new 24" iMac mounted on the wall? My other main concern is that if anything 24" might be too small and would be lost in the proportion of the room (proposed wall will be plain and 5m/16ft long). An alt. solution could be a projector/MacMini or cinema display/MacMini but that's probably pushing costs a bit much!

Note MRoogle showed up this post which didn't fully answer all of my questions although I thought the kitchen set-up (and here) was what I am looking for and looked in proportion with that particular surrounding.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I would go for the television, and if possible with a mac mini. I think the iMac (although it's big) will be too small relatively.

I wouldn't go for a projector either. Cause if you want a good one to watch movies and such, they aren't really bright, and when they're bright, they aren't that good in colour. Next to that, if you want a projector to come to it's fully glory, you need a screen to reflect the light back. (that's why cinema's have screens and not white walls, if you didn't know yet).

(the dutch army had an awkward way to mount them. They cut the stand in 2, and drilled the rest on the wall. It was in one of their recruting "attractions" (they had also a mac pro with 8 screens, awesome :D)

3. MTI macrumors 65816

While the idea of a wall mounted computer substituting for a media display is interesting . . . the alternative of separate components is likely more practical.

As we all know, technology changes faster then the walls and decor of our homes. In a few years it is debatable how much service the bolted on iMac is going to provide, while a HD screen is likely to lead a longer service life. As an example, I bought a 50" Pioneer plasma panel nearly 10 years ago. It had neither a tuner or speakers, but it did have enough inputs and flexibility to continue to serve to this day.

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Dude, really? He's not gaming or running photoshop or anything. He's looking at recipes and listening to music. Anything Apple has released in the last five years will handle the tasks he needs for years.

5. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Well I might be running Photoshop but only occasionally and not for serious use. It is for just the run of the mill stuff, although I'm not sure if I'll be looking up recipes on it!

A TV that'll take my iPod will do the trick, I'm just thinking I'll need another Mac in two years time and if I should bite the bullet and get it early since I'll be spending thousands on my kitchen anyway And no point doing all that work then deciding to get an iMac and having to run cables etc later on.

Since no pictures were forthcoming what I think I'll do is paint my wall white and then draw on the dimensions of the 24" and see if it looks odd.;)

Cheers!

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I searched the Internet and found these

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slh06/330081613/
    http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121029&d=1214250202

Also, this is on the Apple US site.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB902ZM/A?mco=NDcwMzkwNg

Cheers,

7. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Thanks, already found those pics but was hoping to get a wide angle shot against a bare wall to get a concept of scale. Time to 'cardboard engineer'!

8. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd bump this to the top and see how things turned out. I'm considering mounting an iMac in my kitchen so please share some pics if you indeed went the iMac route.. :D

9. Hdunlopclark macrumors member

I had a monitor on the wall for a while. I took it down due to moving my desk

10. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Hey no bump!:D
    Well the reason I haven't posted anything for a while is shown below. :eek:
    I'm right in the middle of it just now, you'll note from the pictures I will have a big blank wall above the new radiator, but I'll also have a handily sized 4 foot wall (48 inches) between the two sets of doors where my breakfast bar & hob will go.

So bottom line is... I still don't know what to do however I have future-proofed. I have left spare wires in the new roof in case I want to display a projector onto the big blank wall, and you'll also note my 4 foot wall (ideal for a 42" LCD??;)) now has a double socket, ethernet and TV/satelite coax cable.

I've also blown my £4k budget, I'm currently running at £12k :eek: after spending £8k on a German kitchen, £2k on porcelain floor tiles, stainless steel sockets alone were £180. And that's doing most of the work myself!
    [​IMG]

11. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

This is a very old thread - but the OP is still active so I didn't feel bad reply to a thread 4 years old.

How did it turn out?

I was able to get a 24" iMac for cheap and considering the idea of mounting it in my kitchen.

12. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Sorry not been on for a while! In the end I got a 42" Sony Bravia and hooked it up to a MacMini, wireless keyboard and mouse. It worked out brilliant, I mainly use it to watch streams of live sports while cooking.

13. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Sounds nice....pictures?