Advice on 2nd video card for 24" CinemaDisplay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maestrokev, Feb 11, 2010.

1. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I've got a Quad MP '09 with a GT120 video card driving one 24" CinemaDisplay. Going to pickup a second 24" CinemaDisplay. Due to the fact that the GT120 only supports one DVI and one DisplayPort and the CinemaDisplay only handles DisplayPort, what do you suggest for a second video card? Another GT120? I don't play video games, just photo processing. Thanks.

2. aibo macrumors 6502

Get another GT120... since you don't play games, the R4870 won't have any benefit.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

get a dvi 24" monitor from dell, etc?

half the price and just as good a monitor..if not better

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Perhaps wait a week or two? The 2010 Mac Pro announcement must be immanent and with it may come some new graphic card options which may include one that supports dual MDP ports. I know that's a lot of "if's" but your only alternative is to buy another GT120 (which is what I have). The dual GT120's are just fine and work seamlessly together.

5. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Do you know if you can turn on/off the second display or GT120 for those times where I don't need the second monitor on - since there's no power button on the 24" ACD.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hmm... no idea. I've never wanted to do that. I'm also not home so can't play around with it. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

7. playalistic macrumors regular

I'm pretty certain you can't turn the displays on or off without physically removing the plug. Lame really, I'm sure the addition of a discrete button round the back of the display a la the iMac would have been a pretty good idea :)

8. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Confirmed, no way to power off 2nd display if not needed - would it really be that hard to put a button on the back or have it software controlled :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a shortcut key to control the brightness of the second display. I like the two displays to match in brightness when photo processing. I can use the keyboard to set the primary monitor brightness in steps, but the second monitor only has the slider control which makes it harder to get an exact match.