Advice on 2tb external HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by antdawe, Aug 8, 2011.

1. antdawe macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm after an external hdd. 2tb

I'll 2 partition so one for time machine and one for media. Importantly I want one with a FireWire 800 connection.

Any reliable ones come to mind. So many to choose from.

I've been lookin at the WD Mybook edition 2

Getting sick of losing my data now.

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

If you plan to backup your media partition onto the Time Machine Partition, that's not really backup. If the drive dies, you're going to loose both your media and your backup. Better to get two 1TB externals instead.

The WD MyBook Studio Edition Drives seem pretty good - I've had one for several years with no troubles. Alternately, check out Other World Computing. The Seagate FreeAgent devices seem pretty nice feature wise ( they are upgradable to various connection types), but I'm not sure about reliability.

3. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesn't the mybook have two drives that I can set to raid1 so they will be mirrored. Surely the chances of both of them simultaneously failing are unlikely?

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Not really that low. If you have a power surge, both drives could easily go. If you have a fire, theft, water damage, etc. they're both gone.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

You should never rely on putting your data onto a RAID system without backup somewhere else, its very bad practice (even with RAID mirroring). If something happens to your RAID system you lose everything.

You would be better of with 2 WD Studio drives, one for media, one for Time Machine/Disc cloning

6. YEEZY macrumors member

What should you do if you have a power surge? I have a 2TB Elements drive for my storage/Time Machine usage.