ADvice on 3 potential mpro buys

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cpnotebook80, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Upgrading from imac to macpro
    Need advice
    I have found few ppl in my area selling mac pros and wanted some advice and which is the best one to get.
    They are all xeons mostly and i read somewhere something about adobe needing rosetta to run on the mac pros at one point. hopefully someone can clear that up for me.
    I do heavy editing on final cut n adobe and work with Hd videos
    Here are the models

1) Apple Mac Pro Intel Quad Core 2.66GHz, 4Gb ram, 2 x 250Gb hard drive, GeForce 7300 video card, superdrive and pre-loaded with Snow Leopard O/S. The model number of this system is MA356LL/A $1500

2)Apple Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon
    2G, 250GB HD/Superdrive/GeForce 7300 Graphics Card
    2 Processors with 4 Cores. $1600

3)Model Name: Mac Pro
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B01
    SMC Version: 1.7f8
    no video card $1000

thanks again. Also maybe someone can advice on any better models than these in the recent years that may be better than the above.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

those are all exactly the same model (2006 model also known as 1.1). the only thing differing is the hard drives /ram and gpu

3. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks
    So since they are all from 2006, should I just get something newer maybe or will the processor power be enough for editing hd video etc

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

These will work. You can upgrade the processors to 4 cores clovertown. Draw back on these systems is 32 bit EFI so no 64 bit software. I edited AVCHD on mine when I had it. No bad system if your tight on cash. Otherwise go find a 2008 mac pro. These have the 64 bit EFI.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

so not worth it

wrong. 32bit OSX can run 64 bit apps.

6. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

THanks for your thoughts
    I;ve used imac for like almost 4 years and always want more power and mac pro were out of reach. I even had a macbook pro the new one 13" and it was still slow than the apple mac pro but it managed to play my hd videos right off the camcorder and my imac couldnt
    So i can imagine the power If i do decided to get a macpro
    I dont want to buy something that has too much power where its underutilized
    also, dont want to be left behind in the new mac pro processors either.
    Want something that can stand test of time or atleast few years.

I also came across this
    one someeone selling for $2000

processor name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon (intel extended memory 64 technology, 64 bit data paths)
    processor speed: 2.8 GHz (x2)
    number of processor: 2
    Total numbers of core: 8
    cache per processor: 12mb
    memory: 2GB (expendable up to 32GB)
    cache memory : 24mb L2 cache
    bus speed: 1.6 GHz
    hd: 320gb (expendable up to 4 hd, and each takes maximum 1TB, cable free)
    firewire 800: 2
    firewire 400: 2
    usb: 5
    usb on keyboard :2
    ati radeon hd 2600xt 256mb
    optical digital audio input and output
    analog stereo line-level input and output
    16x super drive with double layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    bluetooth 2.0
    two ethernet input

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

That is the 2008 octad, often considered one of the best value machines Apple has ever produced. I am typing from one now, it's a great performer. That machine will last you for a few years to come.

8. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

also can i use my current imac as a monitor for the mac pro or do i need a new monitor to go with the macpro

does the heavy programs run pretty smooth and quick for you?

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If your lucky and get a good deal on the clovertowns, it would be worth it to someone on a budget. As for the 64 bit software, yeah, OS X runs it but not as efficient as it would in 64 bit mode. And if I am right, will not access above 4gb ram for the program.

If you can get that 2008 mac pro for 2000, grab it. Its a great machine. Have had mine for around a year. Awesome machine. Suggest you get a dedicated monitor.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

For now, yes. But Apple is going to drop K32 support, and graphics cards are already a problem in the EFI32 based systems ('06 - '07; for the OP).

These issues would haunt anyone for the described use (i.e. have to turn around and get a newer machine to retain the ability to upgrade the OS and hardware). So it's best to get an EFI64 based system, which begins with the '08's. ;)

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You can't use the iMac as monitor, as that model was introduced before they enabled that capability. I don't think you will have any problem with "smoothness" :rolleyes:

12. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes was told about that in the apple store and was almost forced to buy a brand new macpro way over my budget.
    So i will have to buy the 2k one above and see how that goes. Too bad one cant add the ssd drives
    Also, since we are expecting new pros coming out soon, should i be worried about buying a 2008 version?

13. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The monitor coming with is the Samsung 226bw
    is this good? reviews of it seem good but would like to see what else comparable to the apple led lcd type is out there

14. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you know where i can get upgrade ram for the above model
    i cant find it on newegg and maybe read somewhere that the ram for the above is hard to come by
    i found something on it here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=431246

15. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I have that model. You can get the RAM from Other World Computing at www.macsales.com.

16. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool thanks.
    is the machine fast enough in your opinion esp working with hd videos etc?

17. NoManIsland macrumors regular

The machine is extremely capable. I don't edit HD, but I run Vienna Symphonic, which is a 270 GB sample library in Logic, so if over 300 concurrent software instruments with multiple individual effects doesn't give me jitter, I can't see it falling short on your tasks :)

18. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

YEH! my first mac pro.
    Im so happy with it. Yes its fast but have yet to do some editing still on it on my videos.

Things i noticed since ive been using the imac

The macpro didnt have wifi so had to share internet from imac using ethernet for now. (any other option? i heard the wifi for macpro is not very good, maybe usb wifi?)

the keyboard n mouse i use is bluetooth on imac and the macpro is on the floor. So have to get a BT mouse i guess since cable is short

Also, regarding ram, came with 2gb. I have someone selling another 2gb from the same machine as mine. Should I get that or buy an actual 4gb ram dimm.
    The guys is selling the 2gb for 100$.

monitor i have is a samsung and is not the greatest since it looks faded a bit and angle is not great. Maybe will get a dell in near future.

Also my geekbench score is 9850 when i got the macpro and tested it out.Is that good?

Regarding harddrive, Should i add a high rpm harddrive and will it help on this machine for movie editing etc.

Can I upgrade the cpu since its 2x2.8 processor and maybe bump it up to 2x3.0ghz or will that not make a difference and stick to just ram.

thanks

19. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ram

I have found few places for 8gb ram.
    Currently i have the default 2gb ram
    my early mac pro 2008
    I found one place selling the 8gb for 260$US. is that good price?
    2x4
    Now can i keep my current 2gb to make it 10gb.
    there is 1gb in riser a and 1gb in riser b

21. Pedro86 macrumors newbie

dont bother with the processors, expensive for not too much of gain in performance.

Upgrade memory, if your doing heavy intensive HD video, or final cut pro etc I would recommend about 8-12GB, check at crucial, or macupgrades.com. Both are pretty cheap, and sell aftermarket memory on the cheap. The memory is a important one.

What I have found is you want a really quick, eg. a raptor Hard drive, or a SSD drive for optimum performance, I have a original mac drive 500GB and 2 1TB drives, to be honest they are a bit slow, and if you look for something you occasionally get a bit of lag as they search / scan for the info on the disk. But this is me being really picky and searching for problems.

Also your graphics card, I unfortunately still have a 2600HD which is pretty rubbish. Either go for a ATI 4890 or GT285, both of which can be brought as PC cards then flashed with help from topics on the mac pro thread. I am waiting for a update to hopefully get a ATI 5xxx series, if not I will be doing the above in a couple of months!

Enjoy your machine

22. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I will update the hddrive and gpu and ram.in due time
    regarding the gpu, i have someone selling one the ati 4890 for 275$ so not sure if thats good.
    I will check for some fast drives as im not sure about ssd and installation just yet.

23. CCK macrumors member

HD video editing is what I do. Would have gotten this machine if the new MP wasn't just around the corner, should serve you just fine.

Especially since budget was an initial concern, a usb extension cable would work just fine for your mouse (female on one end male on the other), I'd invest in another 4 Gbs of ram, a monitor for a dual setup, (use your samson for your bins & effects) and also put my $ into HD's for backup & storage. You could set them up in RAID if you find you have the need for more speed. Then work with it for a bit. If you don't use motion heavily, the GPU might be fine.

By the time you settle into your machine & find out what you really need, more options should be available, & the cost of things like SSD's should come down a bit.