Advice on 80GB iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eswank, Feb 6, 2008.

1. eswank macrumors 6502

For those of you who have a 80GB iPod Classic, I would really like to ask for advice. I was considering buying one and then changed my mind and now I'm leaning over to changing my mind again.

I got to actually play with one at one of the local electronics stores we have in my area and I'll honestly say that I'm somewhat dissapointed in it. The click wheel isn't as responsive as the regular 5th Gen iPod. Those click wheels were great. For the 'Classic' click wheel its it's not as sensitive as I'd want it be.

I've read reviews when the 'Classic' first came out the big negatives came from the click wheel. I know Apple sent out an update for the Classic. Did this update do anything to help the click wheel? Is there anything else wrong with the iPod Classic?

So whoever has an 80GB iPod Classic and can send some advice my way I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I have one. Bought it after the firmware upgrade, which it installed before loading my music so I can't speak to the pre-upgrade situation. I like it very much. It navigates very well; the only delay is the artwork (takes about a second to come in after navigating to the song-- not very different from coverflow on my g4 ibook.) I am very happy with mine. I will note that a good solid thumb or finger is needed on the touch wheel; sometimes lighter touches don't register.

I have noted that a lot of complaints about the classic come from 5g users and owners. For all I know they could be correct; my previous one was a 3G (the one with the four touch buttons above the touch wheel). I had never even had a click wheel, which I think is great-- theres not even really a need for a hold button. I love the thinness, the beautiful screen and the overall build quality-- with the aluminum front you don't need a case. And the price was right-- $249. I had paid $499 for a 30 gig in 2004.

3. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on the same boat as you when it comes to paying an arm and a leg before the 4th Gen iPod came out.

But thanks for your reply. I guess I'm going to have to go to the Apple Store and play with the iPod there. I know for sure that they're firmware has been updated. Thanks again!