Advice on a 5th gen ipod on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andruw91, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a 30gb ipod classic 5th to replace my ipod photo that died 2 weeks ago. I found some used one on eBay for 100-175. I'm thinking about putting a bid on one for about $85 that is used and comes with everything (even though I don't need it). Can anyone give me some tips on how much to spend. My music library is only about 13gb so the 30 will be more than enough and I plan to use it in the car and while I'm at the gym.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

$125-$150 would seem to me to be about the price you can expect to pay. You could get it closer to $100 if you're lucky though. (I know the 4th gen iPods still go for $90-$120, so this seems to make sense to me.)

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I wouldnt buy a 5th gen. Try for a classic the battery in the 5th gen is now 2.5-3.5 years old and probably wont last much longer.

4. Andruw91 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I'm not clear on what a classic is, but I thought the ipod 5th gen (ipod video) is now referred to as an ipod classic

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I believe that is still called a video but the classic comes in 80gb,120gb or 160gb and the front is either black or silver nd is aluminum not plastic.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The iPod videos scratch like you wouldn't believe. If that's the sort of thing that'll bug you you might be better off with a classic for the aluminium casing.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't pay anything more than $90-100 for one, including shipping. I've gotten them in perfectly good condition off of craigslist for $70.

8. Andruw91 thread starter macrumors regular

As long as it plays music that's all I really care about. I could care less about the video, but I figured I might as well have something more current. When I get it, it's going in a case anyway since I run with it and the ipod tends to get slippery when wet (or sweat). I currently have a bid on a 5th gen black 30gb for a max bid of $85 on eBay. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

9. j5045096 Guest

Andrew, craigslist is a better bet than eBay depending on where you live. If you're close to a reasonably area you should have plenty to choose from on craigslist with the added benefit of seeing before you buy. And as somebody who has owned an iPod Video in the past (the plastic front), I can tell you that it will bother you when it gets all scratched up. ...I had a black one and it just looked hideous after a very short time--I had it in my pocket most of the time, never with keys or anything else in there and yet it would come out scratched. You could buy one of those rubber cases for it but it then gets really bulky. I would also recommend the Classic. Aside from the aluminum, the screen is made of like a mineral glass or something like that which should be a whole lot better bet than the plastic of the old one.

10. minik macrumors 65816

11. Andruw91 thread starter macrumors regular

I did look on craigslist as you suggested, but nothing is close to me that I want. Some people are selling ipod touches and nanos, but no classics. eBay has worked out well for me in that past, so it looks like I'm headed down that road again

12. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Just make sure to look extensively into buyer feedbacks and remember that although 90% or 95% positive feedback might initially sound great that if the seller has done a lot of transactions that 5%-10% equal a lot of unhappy people. For example a sell with 1000 sales and a 90% feedback rating has managed to make 100 people mad enough to leave negative feedback. Basically, just be careful.

13. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

14. Andruw91 thread starter macrumors regular

The person I am looking at does have a return policy, it's only 7 days, but it's better than nothing. I don't use eBay too often, but when I do I check things out a lot before buying. Thanks for the advice

15. Andruw91 thread starter macrumors regular

I have one more question. I won the 5th gen classic on eBay and I want to buy a case for it. I looked at Best Buy and everything they have is for a classic 2nd gen ipods. Does that mean that the 5th gen will fit in it? Not looking for anything specific, just want to know when I got shopping for one at the store.