Advice on a Clean OS Install for 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yayap7, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Yayap7, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

Yayap7 macrumors newbie

Yayap7

Hello there,
    I am going to do a clean install on my family's(now mainly my sisters/nephew's comp) 2010 27" iMac. It's been having a lot of problems because of icloud and keychain inconsistencies and it's clogged up with legacy apps and files from our 2007-ish iMac. So we've backed it up and I'm ready to wipe and reinstall the OS.
    I'm going to make a USB boot drive with that OS version so I need that .app or whatever it is to do so.

I was planning on going back a couple OS' to Lion or Mountain Lion to better support the hardware and such. Though, are there better reasons to install Mavericks on it? I don't think Yosemite or Capitan would be worth it.
    My problem is, I don't have a Lion install disk or USB and I cannot get access to it on the App store anymore.
    Does anyone know a good source or site for Mac OSX install packages that are free downloads? I don't want to pay Apple $20 for a Lion install USB..

EDIT/Update:

I ended up wiping the main drive partition and creating a new OS install over it using the Command+R boot drive utility. It's re-downloading Mavericks(what it's been using) so hopefully after it's installed that and created the admin account it should work a bit more smoothly.

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I have done a "nuc and pave" (reformat and clean install of the OS) on my wife's early 2009 24" iMac, along with replacing the hard drive with a SSD (solid state drive). Originally this was done with OS X Yosemite and has since been upgraded to El Capitan. My wife is very pleased - the Mac is much faster, like a new computer.

She has 28,000 pictures in her Photos library -- no problems. Launching Photos on her 2009 iMac (with new SSD) is slightly slower than launching Photos on my new 27" Retina iMac (also with SSD), but not dramatically so.

The newest OS (El Capitan) should run very well on your 2010 27" iMac, particularly if you do a "clean install". There is no reason to stay with Mavericks. Even better, install a new SSD. You will be surprised how much faster the computer will run, and your 5-y/o hard drive is getting a little long in the tooth.