Advice on a compact home audio solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mfacey, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I live in a small apartment that is currently without any kind of decent audio solution.
    All I have now is a fairly decent 2.1 system from Altec Lansing hooked up to my Powerbook which is not in a convenient location compared to my living area. So using those speakers is out of the question.
    I also have a PS3 and a HDD DVR that both have jukebox capabilities, but seeing as the only speaker-equipped device in my living room area is my LCD tv that doesn't help much!

I don't have much space in my house. I'm not looking for a full surround system and seeing as I have wooden floors a seperate sub-woofer isn't necessary (it'll piss off the neighbours!).

Ideally I'd want a system that has good to excellent sound quality, accepts ipods and has an aux input for my LCD tv (its speakers are utter crap).

I've been looking at the Bose Wave radio, but its too expensive for what it is and does. It does deliver excellent sound and has an ipod expansion, but the price just doesn't work for me.
    The new B&W Zeppelin is also amazing, but too expensive.
    Tivoli radios are interesting, but I've yet to test one and they're also pretty expensive.

As you can see I seem to be venturing into the area of all in one solutions. I'm not sure this is necessarily the best solution.

My budget is $500 approx.

Any suggestions?

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Well if your after all in one systems they aren't going to be fantastic sound quality compared to a full size seperates system but there are a few good systems out there.

Checkout the Denon DM33 System + SCM53 speakers (Denon branded Mission speakers).

im not sure about U.S. dealers but check it out : http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2336

has Aux inputs for TV or iPod etc.

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Definitely look into separates rather than an all in one system. They give you many more inputs and the sound quality is noticeably better.

I have a fairly mid range Marantz stereo amp hooked up to some Gale bookshelf speakers with decent interconnects and speaker cable and my iMac sounds excellent through it.

In the UK, we have a shop called Richer Sounds that does H-Fi equipment at good prices – I’m sure there are similar shops in other countries.

4. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Why not go used? You can get some fantastic deals on some wicked equipment that would sound great.

I picked up this old Pioneer receiver for $40 http://powerthings.com/pics/sx535.jpg

I also picked up these old Celestion DL8 speakers with stands for $100 http://powerthings.com/pics/celestiondl8.jpg

Infact, finding some old but clean stuff might be more rewarding :) These things are built like tanks.