Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericcwhitaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hoping someone here might be able to help me.

I took my mid-2009 MBP in for a repair last Tuesday. The hard drive failed. Simple switch was all that was needed. At the time the computer was checked in, the tech noted that the HD was bad, and that the case had a minor ding on the bottom and some scuffing.

Fast forward to Saturday morning when I run out of hard drive space. I check and notice that the HD replaced was 320GB and the original was 500GB. On top of that, I notice my screen looks slightly funny the night before, and upon further checking of the computer notice that:

- The screen has two discolored areas (red blotches) that weren't there before.
- The top case has a new fresh dent (not noted in the genius check in form).
- The keyboard O key pops off, and is not acting correctly.
- The upper case has dents between the keyboard and trackpad.
- The lower screws are not replaced flush.
- The computer seems to be running hotter/slower than before.

Apple wants me to make two more trips to the store (one to get it reevaluated from the first time) and another to pick it up, plus repair and downtime. That's a lot of money on gas for me, not to mention time that a grad student and working person doesn't have to give.

Any advice on how to fix this as quickly as possible?

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I have never had a good experience with my local Apple Store repairs. I suggest bypassing them and call Apple Care, they will overnight a box and ship it to a Service Center. Odds are they will turn it around in a day or two and make it right. Those kids in the Apple t-shirts seem to think that they are too cool to actually help anyone, so I chose not to deal with them.

dslrjunky

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
i think you really have no choice but to relay all these findings that you found yourself to the geniuses.. and before you leave make sure you check everything out so you won't be in the same as where you are right now...

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Yikes. Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing or was having a bad day. I'd definitely call AppleCare and explain the situation.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Actually I'd call the Apple corporate number and ask to speak with Customer Relations (not customer service).

I had some repair issues a few years ago and they set it up so that I could go to the nearest Apple Store where they gave me a brand new machine.

Not sure how they'd handle your situation since it's not a new machine, but I think that if it's still under Applecare that they'd do something for you.

ericcwhitaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Actually I'd call the Apple corporate number and ask to speak with Customer Relations (not customer service).

I had some repair issues a few years ago and they set it up so that I could go to the nearest Apple Store where they gave me a brand new machine.

Not sure how they'd handle your situation since it's not a new machine, but I think that if it's still under Applecare that they'd do something for you.

I called AppleCare. They want to repair the computer, and acknowledge the damage stated including the cosmetic, but they only set up the repair for the LCD and hard drive.

I've escalated with Customer Relations and also sent an email detailing the situation to the normal channels, aka sjobs@apple.com. I'm hoping something comes through, I'm not used to having this kind of problem with anything Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.