Advice on a Hybrid SSD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hook'Em2006, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I have a 2011 MBP and want to install a new drive. Either a SSD or Hybrid. Can anyone give me any information on the two that is in simple speak?? Just wondering if the money for the SSD is worth it.

2. visim91 macrumors 6502

Apparently, they suck.

Edit: They tend to hang quite often.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

A SSD is awesome. The boot time (if you care about that) gets down to about 20 seconds from pressing the power button to fully loaded desktop. Applications start up almost instantly, loading and saving is faster, installing downloaded software and copying large files is significantly faster. Running out of memory is not an issue anymore, since swapping to the SSD is much faster and doesn't slow down the system.

That's about it. The downside is the price, so right now I'm stuck with 128 GB, which is enough, but makes me think twice before installing stuff, and I keep music and pictures stored online now.

I don't have first hand experience with hybrids. The idea seems to be to have a small SSD cache, a large HDD, and an intelligent controller that recognizes files and applications that are accessed frequently, and stores them on the SSD, to speed up their use. I don't know how useful this is in practice, probably depends on how the computer is used.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

I used the Momentus XT for a while shortly after it started being sold, and IMO was well worth the money. The boot time was about 15 seconds with SL. I've since upgraded to an Intel 320 SSD, which has no better boot times or app launch times. It does however have far better read/write speeds.

If you don't have the money for an SSD, I highly suggest the Momentus XT, I even think they come in 1TB now.

5. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

I have had an identical experience as derickdub and echo his view on this. I am running firmware version SD28 as well on my Momentus XT -I have had ZERO issues in any regard (I also have boot camp as well as Parallels running fine on this drive too). However if next year sometime (hopefully) the price of SSD can come down to say .75 cents or less a gig, I probably would jump to SSD. For now, the Momentus XT (IMHO) gives me a nice place to be till the SSD can be a reality for me.

6. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies. I think I will go with a hybrid. Just can't fathom forking over the cash for a SSD. They are really quite expensive.

7. some idiot macrumors member

I just wanted to come in here to say Sic 'em Bears:D

8. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats not kind. You guys have a great squad this year. RGIII is ridiculous and hopefully can help you guys gain more momentum. Great for the BEVO 10 to have another good school in our conference.