advice on a mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bt22, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I currently have an AppleTV and have boxee installed on my AppleTV. Due to Boxee losing Hulu it's less desirable. I have installed the new test beta but it is so sluggish and stalls and is just not very enjoyable. I have been considering getting a mac mini to attach to my home theater system which consist of a 52" LCD Television. I have been watching for one of the last generation Mac Mini's. I just really want it to be able to watch internet television and to be able to surf the internet. I have noticed that the new generation would enable me to use the mini dvi to hdmi cable. Does the older model offer a dvi to hdmi connection. I am in the process of hanging my tv so i would like to be able to route all HDMI's thru my receiver then only have to have one HDMI out to the Television. All suggestions and recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The old one does do DVI->HDMI but you need to buy an adapter or adapter cable. I have that on mine.

3. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response flopticalcube. does the mini give an acceptable picture? i talked to a rep at an apple store this weekend and they said i would not be satisfied with the picture quality. but i connect my laptop to my tv via an s-video cable and watch joost and hulu and such and the quality is every bit as good as boxee if not better. i just think the mini will give me a lot more options and will even give me a 3rd computer... it will also be my first apple computer as my computers are still the winders type and i want to give os-x a spin. would you recommend the last generation mini via a refurb or would you recommend going for the new one..?

thanks again,

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My Mac mini chokes when playing 1080p video files.

5. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

alpahod ... do you have your mini connected to your tv..? if yes, does it give you a pretty good quality video? especially for just basic video watching especially for just basic internet video feeds..? i plan on keeping my appletv which would allow me to watch at least 720p video. I have a blu-ray for true 1080p video... just trying to get a feel for if people have them hooked up to their tv's and if they are satisfied with the resolution for just basic use...thank you for your response...

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

whats the specs of your mini?? surely it can play it.. the 1.83GHz has been known to play them.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mine chokes on some 1080p material but I don't watch much of that. For internet viewing it will be more than acceptable. The picture quality will be fine, especially with HDMI. The rep knows not of what he speaks. The refurb route would be fine for your application. The newer units have some advantages but nothing outstanding (save for the video card).

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm odd, plex should be more then capable of playing all those sort of high-demanding videos.

it successfully plays HD videos on my CoreDuo MBP, which is pathetic compared to the C2D's!

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mine is a 1.66CD. It plays most 1080p but chokes on some files and some scenes.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok a tad slower then mine and the tested MM's. understandable :) (guess i should have looked at your sig hahaha)

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Just waiting for the new ones to end up in refurb. :D

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

me too! they are very expensive arent they!

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's why the OP should go for a refurb of the last gen (or the next if he can wait a few months). I paid $439 for my mini which is definitely "Have a go and see if you like it" territory. Easily make 90% of his money back in a month or two if he doesn't like it.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Prepare to wait. Especially if there are a bunch of Mac minis leftover from the last generation. I know about ten people that have been waiting for a MBA rev B since November 2008 - there are so many of the original MBAs that they still aren't selling refurbished rev B MBAs in the US. It could be five or six months or more for your mini wait... And, don't you only save like $30 and $60 on refurbished Mac minis?

If you want a new Mac mini, I think you should just go for it. I definitely think they are worth it. However, if you want low price, you can get a previous generation Mac mini for like $420... you will not get the new ones for that discount.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I can wait. Even my mini is fine for all that I use it for.

16. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

the sales person kept telling me he would have to check each time i would ask a question at this particular apple store... each time he would come back and advise i would not be satisfied hooking a mini up to my tv. i'm in no hurry so i have considered waiting until the current version mini made it to the refurb store. but realize that the savings may not be worth the wait. i will try to decide between a new one v/s a refurb. i appreciate all the responses...

17. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

18. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think you would like that logitech KB. I use the thin apple aluminum one and it is very sweet but I would love a built in trackpad. My 1.83 C2D mini is on my desk right now but I had it in the living room for about 6 months on a 42" plasma. It is so much fun. I mainly used it (in the LR) for itunes video, handbrake mp4 rips and avi / divx. It has a great picture, especially for a 2 hr movie that's been ripped down to a 1 gig file. The internet works great in the LR too, wirelessly, even with the router in another room down the hall.