Advice on a Macbook Pro Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by babbuglen, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. babbuglen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #1
    Hey Everybody,

    I really appreciate any advice I can get on this matter.

    Here are my 2 options -

    $1350 - A friend will sell me a slightly used 15 inch Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 gig of RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. If anything happens to it within the year, he'll take care of it (he's a computer guy)

    $2199 - I purchase the 15-Inch 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. After tax and the extended warranty, im looking at almost spending $3000.

    Im not really concerned with the graphics card or the Super Drive.

    What would you guys do???? Im really torn...

    Id be using the computer for light-moderate photoshop/illustrator/in-design work. Web surfing. Music/movies...

    thank you guys!
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Don't get the Core Duo and wait until MacWorld 2008.
     
  3. babbuglen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #3
    I know I can wait...but im REALLY itching to get a machine now. I know realistically if something new is announced end of Jan., it won't ship until March...I can't wait that long.
     
  4. alex1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #4
    I would enroll at the local Jr college for a flower arranging class to get the educational discount, then order the Mac-Book Pro 15" 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gigs of memory and 120 gig hard drive for $1,799 and call it good.... Welll OK.. bump up the hard drive to 250 gigs for $2,001. Yeah.. ok.. extended warranty would be smart to.... wireless mouse... hmmm... well you get the idea.
     
  5. babbuglen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #5
    Alex, is the used Macbook too old or something? Am I at a huge disadvantage with the Intel Core Duo vs. the Intel Core 2 Duo?
     
  6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #6
    not necessarily. you said it yourself, you can wait so if i were you i would with out a doubt wait. if they are announced in jan they could very well ship at the end of the month, i don't think it would take till march..
     
  7. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #7
    You should try out your friend's MBP. If you trust him, and it does what you want it to do, you'd be saving a lot of money. That's so cheap that you could buy the MBP now, use it for a while and upgrade yourself to something else later. Why spend more than $1300 if you'd be happy with his?
     

Share This Page