Advice on a Macbook Pro Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by babbuglen, Dec 19, 2007.

1. babbuglen macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody,

I really appreciate any advice I can get on this matter.

Here are my 2 options -

$1350 - A friend will sell me a slightly used 15 inch Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 gig of RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. If anything happens to it within the year, he'll take care of it (he's a computer guy)

$2199 - I purchase the 15-Inch 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. After tax and the extended warranty, im looking at almost spending $3000.

Im not really concerned with the graphics card or the Super Drive.

What would you guys do???? Im really torn...

Id be using the computer for light-moderate photoshop/illustrator/in-design work. Web surfing. Music/movies...

thank you guys!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't get the Core Duo and wait until MacWorld 2008.

3. babbuglen thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I can wait...but im REALLY itching to get a machine now. I know realistically if something new is announced end of Jan., it won't ship until March...I can't wait that long.

4. alex1 macrumors newbie

I would enroll at the local Jr college for a flower arranging class to get the educational discount, then order the Mac-Book Pro 15" 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gigs of memory and 120 gig hard drive for $1,799 and call it good.... Welll OK.. bump up the hard drive to 250 gigs for $2,001. Yeah.. ok.. extended warranty would be smart to.... wireless mouse... hmmm... well you get the idea.

5. babbuglen thread starter macrumors newbie

Alex, is the used Macbook too old or something? Am I at a huge disadvantage with the Intel Core Duo vs. the Intel Core 2 Duo?

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

not necessarily. you said it yourself, you can wait so if i were you i would with out a doubt wait. if they are announced in jan they could very well ship at the end of the month, i don't think it would take till march..

7. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

You should try out your friend's MBP. If you trust him, and it does what you want it to do, you'd be saving a lot of money. That's so cheap that you could buy the MBP now, use it for a while and upgrade yourself to something else later. Why spend more than $1300 if you'd be happy with his?