Advice on a maxed out 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by orangerock, Oct 17, 2014.

1. orangerock macrumors regular

I've decided the 27.5" screen/5K is not for me right now. My question is, how has the 21.5" maxed out worked for those of you doing a lot of video editing? FCPX and After Effects? That's more bang for my buck over the 5K, right?

2. Kurrgo macrumors member

IMO (with the little knowledge I have) the computer will last forever. The question is, will the hardware support the more robust features of the video editing applications you're talking about in 7 years.

I bought a Macbook Pro about 7 years ago and the processor limits some of the 3D capabilities in Photoshop. It also runs a bit slow with large photos in Lightroom and Photoshop....and iMovie too.

This is my first round with the same thing you're doing - maxing out an iMac to see how it works. Once you get up into the $3000+ range I think it may be a bit much. I landed just over $2300 with a totally maxed 21.5 iMac with AppleCare. Upgraded to i7 processor and got the 1TB fusion drive with 16GB of RAM. It may not have the total power of the Macbook Pro (based on what I've heard), but I may be able to justify buying another one in 5 years instead of 7-8 years. And that new one will probably handle more robust software than if I held out for 7 years. The specs also look significant enough to meet my needs.

Best of luck! I'm sure whatever you order will cook!!!

3. Slyth66 macrumors member

This is my biggest dilemma right now. I just ordered the new Retina iMac but I really, REALLY don't want or need the 27 inch display. I do HD video editing as a career but probably won't be working with 4K anytime soon. But if this device is something I'll have for about 4-5 years then it may be worth it.

I have an Early 2011 Macbook Pro that I maxed out when I bought it and the current 21.5 inch iMac even maxed out wouldn't be too big of a difference spec-wise from it.

I've never owned an iMac so I'm really going back and forth with how I feel about this purchase. I could have gotten a 21.5 inch for about $1000 cheaper and been able to get a secondary monitor with it if I really wanted that much screen space.

4. orangerock thread starter macrumors regular

Kurrgo, I am upgrading from a Fall '09 iMac. I completely agree with your line of thought. I can get the 21.5" for +\- 2,000 and feel I have the same machine as the 27.5 minus the resolution.

Slyth, you are going to love the Mac. When you have one with enough power, there is nothing better.

5. Kurrgo macrumors member

Mine's estimated to arrive by the 29th! I'm very excited for this purchase.