Advice on a possible trade. All help is greatly appreciated!

testudoaubreii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Hello. I am in need of a portable macOS device. I am getting rid of all of my gaming stuff and trying to sell it has been a hassle. So, I decided to put the items up for trade.

Someone contacted me about this trade and I was wondering if you knowledgeable folks here can help me with some advice to let me know if it is a good trade. Here is the trade:

My stuff:

Gaming rig -
  • i7 8700
  • EVGA SSC GTX 1070
  • 16GB DDR4
  • MSI Z370 A Pro Mobo
  • EVGA 600w PSU
  • Phanteks p400 case
  • 250GB SSD
  • 1TB HDD
Monitor -
  • LG 27UK600 27" 4K HDR
Console -
  • Xbox One X w/1 controller
Extra -
  • $450 cash or a Samsung S8 64GB + $300 cash
His 2018 15" MacBook Pro -
  • 2.2 i7 6 core CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • Radeon 555x GPU
  • Excellent condition
  • Bought in December 2018
Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I would read up on the potential issues with the 2018 MBP before deciding. There are many threads on the forum about them.

dscottj

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018
If the laptop has been running well for the past three months, then almost all of the things people complain about WRT the MBP 2018 are not affecting this particular unit. There are legit concerns about keyboard preference, so be sure to try one out in a Best Buy or Apple store. I don't remember if the warranty transfers after a sale or not. If it doesn't have AppleCare Plus then it's too late to add it. Look very seriously at laptop insurance (it's a thing, and it turns out to be less than AC+), because a liquid damage repair can otherwise cost ~$1500.

I can't judge your trade by merits because I'm not familiar enough with the specs/costs of your gaming rig, but I can say that I've been very pleased with my 2018 MBP, and have not experienced ANY of the issues people complain about on these forums.

testudoaubreii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
If the laptop has been running well for the past three months, then almost all of the things people complain about WRT the MBP 2018 are not affecting this particular unit. There are legit concerns about keyboard preference, so be sure to try one out in a Best Buy or Apple store. I don't remember if the warranty transfers after a sale or not. If it doesn't have AppleCare Plus then it's too late to add it. Look very seriously at laptop insurance (it's a thing, and it turns out to be less than AC+), because a liquid damage repair can otherwise cost ~$1500.

I can't judge your trade by merits because I'm not familiar enough with the specs/costs of your gaming rig, but I can say that I've been very pleased with my 2018 MBP, and have not experienced ANY of the issues people complain about on these forums.
Thank you for your reply and the info! May I ask what WRT is, please?

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Thank you for your reply and the info! May I ask what WRT is, please?
My guess is he means WRT is "with regards to".
As mentioned, try out the keyboard first, also there have been issues with the screens on MBP's failing with what I think was called the stage light effect. Read up on those two. His having an SSD is a plus but probably not replaceable. I don't know anything about the GPU in the MBP.
Best of luck.

dscottj

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018
I've followed the stage light issue a bit, and from what I've read it seems to be related to opening the laptop as wide as it can go with some frequency. So I'm being careful not to do that. I'm sure there will be people who claim otherwise and that's fine. As with the keyboard, IMO if it becomes a big enough issue Apple will cover it eventually.

To repeat: all of the above is strictly my own opinion. Enjoy yours.

Reactions: Martyimac

testudoaubreii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
My guess is he means WRT is "with regards to".
As mentioned, try out the keyboard first, also there have been issues with the screens on MBP's failing with what I think was called the stage light effect. Read up on those two. His having an SSD is a plus but probably not replaceable. I don't know anything about the GPU in the MBP.
Best of luck.
Thank you.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Hello. I am in need of a portable macOS device. I am getting rid of all of my gaming stuff and trying to sell it has been a hassle. So, I decided to put the items up for trade.

Someone contacted me about this trade and I was wondering if you knowledgeable folks here can help me with some advice to let me know if it is a good trade. Here is the trade:

My stuff:

Gaming rig -
  • i7 8700
  • EVGA SSC GTX 1070
  • 16GB DDR4
  • MSI Z370 A Pro Mobo
  • EVGA 600w PSU
  • Phanteks p400 case
  • 250GB SSD
  • 1TB HDD
Monitor -
  • LG 27UK600 27" 4K HDR
Console -
  • Xbox One X w/1 controller
Extra -
  • $450 cash or a Samsung S8 64GB + $300 cash
His 2018 15" MacBook Pro -
  • 2.2 i7 6 core CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • Radeon 555x GPU
  • Excellent condition
  • Bought in December 2018
Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

I think it's a good trade, price wise.

Your items are depreciating much faster than the MBP, so you actually win out with the trade.

I would personally jump on this trade. You can always resell the MBP very easily if you don't like it. Especially if it's in near flawless condition.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2006
Just spitball off the top of my head values here. They may be off.

Your PC: $800
Xbox One X: $300
Monitor: $350

So that is a total of $1450.

That MacBook Pro is available from Apple refurbished right now for $2039. So, if you are adding $450 cash you would be looking at $1900 all in on your end. That seems pretty close to fair assuming I gave proper value for your stuff. Having said that, personally I would pay the $139 for the ability to get it from Apple instead of second-hand, but you are also adding value by simply trading. You are able to fund a large chunk of the cost with stuff that you would otherwise have to try to sell which could take a while and you may or may not be able to get the kind of value I am looking at here.

All this to say, sounds like a pretty fair trade.

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Nov 12, 2016
Oh, wow...I had no idea. Thank you. So, it may not be such a great idea, huh?
The issues are vastly blown out of proportion. Many people hate the keyboard and they fail easily if dirt and debris gets under the keys.

Also there’s an issue with the screen that opening and closing over time (1-2years) has caused damage to a cable that creates uneven lighting in the screen. That issue isn’t very widely prevalent though.

In any case, getting Apple care to extend 2-3 years is good peace of mind. I love my new MBP.

testudoaubreii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Just spitball off the top of my head values here. They may be off.

Your PC: $800
Xbox One X: $300
Monitor: $350

So that is a total of $1450.

That MacBook Pro is available from Apple refurbished right now for $2039. So, if you are adding $450 cash you would be looking at $1900 all in on your end. That seems pretty close to fair assuming I gave proper value for your stuff. Having said that, personally I would pay the $139 for the ability to get it from Apple instead of second-hand, but you are also adding value by simply trading. You are able to fund a large chunk of the cost with stuff that you would otherwise have to try to sell which could take a while and you may or may not be able to get the kind of value I am looking at here.

All this to say, sounds like a pretty fair trade.
Thank you. That really maps out everything.

jlc1978

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2009
Look very seriously at laptop insurance (it's a thing, and it turns out to be less than AC+), because a liquid damage repair can otherwise cost ~$1500.
One caveat: look at the insurance deductible. I have a $500 and mostly have insurance for theft as part of a homeowners policy. Apple’s repair cost with AppleCare is generally less than the deductible, plus they’ll fix things repeatedly, except damage, with no costs. In addition, after a botched repair Apple simply replaced a 3 year old Mac with a new one with similar specs, and let me pay the difference to upgrade to a higher end model with more ram and a larger drive.

The only time I used insurance is when I dropped my Mac and broke the screen, rather than repair because the cost was close to replacement value, my insurance gave me the replacement cost less deductible and I bought a new Mac, and later replaced the screen glass (the LCD was fine) with a cheap plexiglass one from AliExpress.

YMMV, but as someone who uses his Mac daily the cost trade off is worth it.
[doublepost=1550409037][/doublepost]
I don't remember if the warranty transfers after a sale or not.
It does, you can check what remains online in the support section on Apple’s website.

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Oh, wow...I had no idea. Thank you. So, it may not be such a great idea, huh?
I'm not aware of any issues with the 2018 MBP---the biggest issue with post-2016 MBP's is the keyboard.

The 2018 has a new version and I think that fixes the problems of the 2016 and 2017 models (I've owned a 2016, 2017 and 2018, so I have familiarity with all of them).

There might have been a screen issue--you'd know it after three months, so the unit you are referring to is probably safe.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about gaming rigs, so I can't go much further to help.