Advice on a purchase Imac core 2 vs. Powermac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NICU420YEM, Feb 20, 2008.

1. NICU420YEM macrumors newbie

I want to purchase a new mac. I had an imac g5 17inch. I use my computer for web design and graphic design. I was looking at the new iMacs and know that they are all glossy screen now, I don't want to drop 2500+ on a MacPro and a display so I was looking at used/open box macs on the site powermax i saw an iMac with a 20" display, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 but its the previous generation with the matte screen I was wondering if I should go that route or get a G5 Power Mac with 2.0 Ghz. I mostly use Adobe products to design and sometimes use Soundbooth to edit Audio. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to take a step backwards and get the Power Mac, although it is more upgradeable, versus being stuck with only 3 gigs of ram. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get the Intel iMac unless you need to use specific PCI, PCI-X, or PCIe expansion cards for your work.

I'd check Apple's refurb page as well instead of an open box item.

3. NICU420YEM thread starter macrumors newbie

but arent all the apple refurbs glossy screen?

4. NICU420YEM thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to ignore these computers. You'd be better off getting the aluminium ones though. They're on a special sale.

[​IMG]

6. NICU420YEM thread starter macrumors newbie

so you would say the current generation imacs are the best bet even though the glossy screen is supposedly not true color? Im using it mostly to design websites would it be that much of a problem you think

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

For web sites, people are looking at the sites with different types of monitors so you're not going to get a perfectly consistent color anyway