Advice on adding AppleCare a year later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenTrovato, Aug 9, 2015.

1. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Hey guys.. it's coming up on 1 year since I bought the rMBP. I was wondering if anyone has purchased the AppleCare warranty by adding it to the cart from the Apple Store and checking out - receiving something in the mail a week later. In the past, I've entered my serial number, clicked the extend warranty button and paid full pop. But if I can just buy it by adding AppleCare to the cart without entering the serial number I can use my company discount and save 10%. I've just never done it like this so I'm wondering if you purchased AppleCare this way, do you get something in the mail and then register your serial number afterward? Thanks..

2. tampageek macrumors 6502

tampageek

Yes. I added care separately about 3 months after buying my rMBP. They will mail you a booklet and an activation code that you can enter with your  ID.

I wasn't sure if I needed to spend the extra $ on it but as it turns out it has already paid for itself. It's well worth it. Not sure about how the coupon would work so it might be better to call and buy it over the phone.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

My advice is to not buy AC from Apple - there's a few key resellers that offer the same product at significant discounts. My small company and I have purchased about a dozen Macs, then followed with AC from other resellers. You're throwing away money if you buy AC from Apple. And, there's a little known "fact" with AC purchases too.

I've purchased AC from Adorama, B&H Photo, and Amazon after shopping around. Both Amazon Prime and B&H delivered my AC box the next day (by USPS or FedEx) at no extra charge for expedited shipping - the cost for the AC on rMBPs was $244 as opposed to Apple's $349, with B&H being in NYC (where I'm from) and my two offices are on the other side of the country in Portland and Seattle. All of the instructions were in the AC box - in less than 10 minutes I went from opening the box to having my subject rMBP's warranty extended. QED. My Mini Servers and Mac Pros are covered by way-cheaper AC sold by those parties (about a 30% discount).

The little-known fact? If one buys AC before the expiration of the standard Apple warranty, they'll honor a late registration of AC. If Apple has any questions about the purchase, they'll request a digital copy of the receipt. Adorama, B&H, and Amazon are all authorized Apple resellers. I had to verify one receipt a couple of years ago in regard to AC - I submitted a scanned copy of the receipt, and in 2 days I was covered after they contacted the reseller - so I can relate my personal experience with this point. Nice, that!

4. BenTrovato thread starter macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Thanks guys! I'll check B&H and Amazon and see if it's cheaper than using the 10% coupon right off the Apple store.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Ive purchased from B&H and Amazon also - Was able to recently purchase a damaged box copy from Amazon from their Warehouse Deals for $204 - plus I purchase Amazon GC for discount price. So basically purchased the $350 AppleCare for my cost of $180. That was unique but B&H has for years been $100 cheaper.