Advice on air travel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gan6660, Aug 6, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

So Wensday I am leaving on a trip for Arizona. The last time I went on an airplane was to Florida in 2001. I never took any electronics with me since I was only 9. I am going to take my MBP, ipod touch, psp and maybe my dsi. Now since these are all carry ons do I have to take each one out of my bag? Will I have to turn my MBP on? The MBP will be inside an incase sleeve which will be inside a cheap bag my mom got free from staples so I think ill just throw my other stuff in there as well. Now should I take my charger with me on the carry on or in my suitcase? Will I have any problem with security using this bag? Since this is my first time on a plane after Sept. 11th I am kind of nervous.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Only the notebook needs to be taken out and if you get a special TSA machine you could get lucky.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

All you have to do is take the computer out of the bag and out of the sleeve and you'll be fine.

4. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

So they just want to see the computer and I dont have to turn it on?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Usually, no, you don't have to turn it on.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nope, just take the computer out and put it in a separate tray, you can leave it in your sleeve, everything else can be left in the bag.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Some TSAs will make you turn it on if they are suspicious.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly, the amount of times I've flown with a notebook alongside the number of times people carry on laptops per day ... TSAs rarely ask this of you.

9. theJamie macrumors member

Usually they won't ask you to remove it from the sleeve, so I would leave it in the sleeve.

10. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I was flying to BWI and Dulles frequently and started placing my laptop in a large ziploc bag - I would place it in the tray - very clear as to what it was - never asked to turn it on.

11. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I flew through SeaTac and BWI (international). They let me keep my MBP in the Vyper case and put it in its own tray for scanning...no issues.

12. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I fly out of BWI all the time and leave my notebook in a sleeve.

13. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've never had to remove my MBP from its sleeve. I just place the sleeve in a tray and go through the detector. No problems with them asking me to take it out and turn it on.

14. grayskyz macrumors regular

grayskyz

ALWAYS leave it in the sleeve, if they want to see it after you can take it out.

C.

15. indiochano macrumors regular

not only will they make you take the computer out of the sleeve and turn it on, they'll make you strip down to your underwear, make you sing the national anthem backwards, and tickle you with feathers while you stand on one foot.

TSA is rough these days

16. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Actually, you'll have to turn it off...

17. mgnayim macrumors newbie

does getting the computer through the TSA x-ray machine damages the computer (maybe the battery...)???? even if it was shutdown???

18. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

No.

19. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I always thought you had to the battery out. Not that you can do it with the new macbook pro/air

maybe that was awhile ago though

20. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I usually carry my laptop in a sleeve inside my carryon bag. Most places want you to take the laptop out of the bag when putting it through the x-ray machines. I always keep it in the sleeve and put it in one of the trays. Except for in some airports they want you to keep it in the bag.

I think only one time have I been asked to turn it on. I forgot which country it was. I just took it out of the sleeve and opened the lid and showed the screen working. I think it was in sleep mode. I usually have it in sleep mode when flying but sometimes turned off completely.

21. maladroit macrumors member

I've had to take my laptop out of my sleeve the last three or four times I've gone through security. Lately they've been running it through the machine three and four times (it's a uMBP) which gets a little frustrating. I've never been asked to turn it on. I'd highly recommend keeping the charger and laptop separate while going through security just to make things easier.

Oh well, could be worse.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I frequently have been asked to take it out of the sleeve.

Never had this happen.

23. davivi23 macrumors newbie

Just got back from NYC last week and had to take my MBP out of the sleeve when going through security. That was through JFK.

24. puma1552 macrumors 601

For those of you being asked to take it out of the sleeve, are you then putting it in the bin completely by itself or are you just setting it on top of the sleeve?

25. davivi23 macrumors newbie

This last time I was able to set on top of of the sleeve. However usually the laptop needs to be in a bin by itself. YMMV