Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
So my mom wants to upgrade her 3G to an iPhone 4. She stopped into the AT&T store near here on June 29th and placed an order for a 16GB black iPhone 4. She still has not received the phone, and no one can tell her anything. They gave her no order number, and apparently took her order down manually that day, because the systems were down.

I advised she order online from apple, but apparently AT&T changed her eligibility status and the ordering system there won't allow it.

I work for AT&T (not in retail stores though) and I have no idea where to turn for help here. Wondering if anyone in these forums has a clue what to do. I at least want her upgrade eligibility changed so she could order from Apple.

hryan4740

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
NoVA
So my mom wants to upgrade her 3G to an iPhone 4. She stopped into the AT&T store near here on June 29th and placed an order for a 16GB black iPhone 4. She still has not received the phone, and no one can tell her anything. They gave her no order number, and apparently took her order down manually that day, because the systems were down.

I advised she order online from apple, but apparently AT&T changed her eligibility status and the ordering system there won't allow it.

I work for AT&T (not in retail stores though) and I have no idea where to turn for help here. Wondering if anyone in these forums has a clue what to do. I at least want her upgrade eligibility changed so she could order from Apple.

Call 611 from her iPhone. If she doesn't have an order in process then they need to fix her upgrade eligibility as she never got a phone.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Call 611 from her iPhone. If she doesn't have an order in process then they need to fix her upgrade eligibility as she never got a phone.

Thanks for the advice. I called the store she ordered from on her behalf, and got the story about the system being down on the day she ordered, and her order being placed manually. He said he was planning to just grab her one from the stock when they got some in, but so far the only phones to arrive in store had been those that were already reserved for someone else.

I told him I wanted an order number I could track the progress with, and he was able to put an order for us and i think things are good to go now. I can see the order on the website already and I'm hopeful that she'll get it in the next 15 days.

hryan4740

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
NoVA
Thanks for the advice. I called the store she ordered from on her behalf, and got the story about the system being down on the day she ordered, and her order being placed manually. He said he was planning to just grab her one from the stock when they got some in, but so far the only phones to arrive in store had been those that were already reserved for someone else.

I told him I wanted an order number I could track the progress with, and he was able to put an order for us and i think things are good to go now. I can see the order on the website already and I'm hopeful that she'll get it in the next 15 days.

That really sucks and that guy sounds like he was really inept. If you order something it should be ordered not "just grabbed when we get some" by the sales person. I'm gonna say this was an epic fail on AT&T's part. I wonder what would have happened had you never called.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
That really sucks and that guy sounds like he was really inept. If you order something it should be ordered not "just grabbed when we get some" by the sales person. I'm gonna say this was an epic fail on AT&T's part. I wonder what would have happened had you never called.

I completely agree that he was inept. I told my mom from day one it was ridiculous that he couldn't provide her with an order number or anything. When I called him today and mentioned I worked for AT&T in management, and had steered my mom to this AT&T store to order the phone out of brand loyalty, I think he decided to just start clean and do what I wanted.

Anyway, I'm not shocked. I don't know if these people in the stores get money for selling the iPhone or something, but they seem to tell all kinds of BS stories to customers in order to get them to order from the AT&T store. This guy kept telling me Apple was taking way longer to fulfill orders than the AT&T stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.