Advice on an iPod Purcahse Needed!!!! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lray3152, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Lray3152 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I recently sold my 1st Generation iPod Touch for a nice amount of money and WAS going to use that to help purchase a 2nd generation iPod Touch. Now I was wondering, if I should continue with that purchase or if I should wait til the January meeting to see if anything is new released (especially with the iPod Stick rumor)? Any Advice people? Thank you!

2. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

If you got the money I would get it now.

I would suggest you get one of the new nanos those are kinda cool or get a 2nd gen ipod touch

3. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanksfor some advice. Do you think anything iPod wise will be released in January?

4. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I am not sure man I mean the ipod stick is still pretty much still in the rumor stage and with the new nanos just coming out not that long ago I dont think they will come out with a new ipod untill late winter.

But I could be wrong I dont know

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

With the relatively new release of all the nanos and the second gen touch, it's unlikely. The next rumored update is the iPhone.

I got the second gen touch and I love it. I'd still be using the first gen touch if my two year old hadn't got his hands on it. The second features I like:
    - awesome battery life. My son watched two movies on a long car ride last month
    - lighter in my pocket. It now replaces my Tungsten T3 as my daily planner/contact list
    - built in speaker and mic - I have forgotten my head phones a couple of times and was still able to listen to some tunes. I have yet to use the mic, but it will be great if I ever pick up an app that files voice memos

On a side note - the unit is great for reading ebooks. I get copies from ereader.com and it now supports documents you create yourself, which is great.

6. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I'm in that situation. What is making the decision easier is the live.com promotion going on.If you want to order through a reputable webstore like J&R, you can get a 16gb for 289 and then get 7% off from the cash-back. So you would pay 289 and then in maybe 60 days you would get an addition $20 back. Hopefully it doesn't take the full 60 days but I don't think anyone has got it yet to know
    Another route I'm seriously considering, ebay you can get 25% cashback right now. It has been up to 35%. So, I found a 32gb ipod touch 2nd gen for 370, found an ebay promo code as well for $25 off a $100 purchase. So you'd pay 345, then you also get the 25% off from using live.com for the search. The discount shows it applying towards the 370, so you will EVENTUALLY get $92 back. The total would be around $252 for a 32gb 2nd gen ipod touch. That is an amazing deal as long as there isn't too much hassle. I've never had a paypal account, so i don't know how that will be.

As far as your question about buying now or waiting, I would buy now. The past updates have all been around september after the educational promotion ends. If anything, I would bet on it only being a minor software update. IF that even happens.

7. MACoconut macrumors regular

imo, get the ipod touch 2nd gen.

i thought ipod nano 4G has bad reviews :rolleyes:

8. therealdt macrumors regular

Geta 2G Ipod touch 16GB. If you really trust that LIVE rebate then do that. I would either go your Apple store or Apple online.

9. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! I really appreciate all the advice and help, and all the nice pointers. I too have seen the LIVE rebate or whatever on ebay, and wasn't too sure if that was legit or not, HAS ANYONE DONE THAT BEFORE? yeah if I am not too sure about it, ill end up just buying one at the applestore. But it would be AWESOME to get a 259 dollar 32GB iPod Touch 2nd Generation because that is so close to the equivalence of getting a brand new 8gb one at the apple store. keep feeding the posts!

10. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

You can actually get it cheaper. I found a 10% off promo code online CHOLIDAYNOV2008 to use. So you will really get 35% off. I'm just contacting the seller and then I'm going to do it. Its too good of a deal to pass up.

11. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey diamond, yeah i have that 10% off coupon, did you have the code for that $25.00 off 100 promo code?

12. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

CRTSY08JLY25 It cannot be combined with the other promo code though.

13. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, you cant use it. but Update! I just bought the 16gb 2nd Generation iPod Touch on eBay. It was originally going to be $270.00 brand new with 10% it was $243.00 and I will be getting 25% off the 270 for the Microsoft Live discount which is another $67.50 off, so in all it really truly cost me $270.00-67.50-27.00 = $175.50!!!!!!!!!

14. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Alright, was there a message in you ebay mailbox about anything to do with the live cashback? Also, how long does it take to get a paypal account setup and be ready to purchase? I've been on their website, but I keep seeing 4-5 days for it to process etc.

15. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Anything that has to do with new iPods will happen on September.

16. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i figured with the september. but yeah u get 2 emails, one to your ebay account and one to your email account, and the set up is so EASY for the microsoft Live account, and it usually takes 1-2 days for it to show up that you made a purchase it says depending on the traffic and also itll take some time before you can get the money? But setting up a paypal account takes minutes haha, its so easy! you should DEFINITELY do it, it only makes things cheaper : )