Advice on best basic wireless router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MyMelange, Nov 6, 2008.

1. MyMelange macrumors newbie

Hi,

Very new to mac, to laptops and to wireless. I have read through lots of posts on this forum and am now officially more confused than when I started.

I am looking for a good, cheap, wireless router to use at home. I will only have one macbook- no network. I live in an apartment- but seriously doubt anyone else has a laptop or wireless connection in the area to interfere with me.

I'll need a good strong internet connection that won't drop. I see all this b or g or n stuff and have no clue what this means in terms of wireless.

What wireless router do you recommend to go with the white macbook that I just bought?

All help is appreciated!!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can't go wrong with a linksys WRT54G(2) wireless router. Cheap (around $50) and reliable. You'll find this model at virtually every electronics store.

If you want something easier to setup with your Mac, you could spring for an Airport Express.

Either way, you shouldn't be disappointed.

PS - both models I mentioned are 802.11g - which is plenty fast if you don't have a network (or even if you do).

3. MyMelange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Eric.

I would go with the Apple- but since I just blew a wad on the laptop- I didn't want to spring for the Apple router :)

4. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Totally agree with the suggestion on Linksys WRT54G2. Running my wireless network on that now. Mainly got it for my PS3 and one PC hooked up on my breakfast bar.

Someone please correct me if I'm, um, incorrect, but if you just want it for Internet access and you don't have a super high speed internet access (higher cost DSL/cable plans or FIOS or something), I don't think a more expensive, faster router would do anything for you - unless you have other computers networked that you want to transfer info between.

5. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

6. Wardotron macrumors member

I would pay a bit more for an Airport Extreme. They're easy to set up and vice-free, plus have lots of ports on the back.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

For most people on average connections with average needs, just about any 54-G router is more than adequate, and reasonably priced too.

The main reasons for moving up to an "N" spec'd router would be the extended range, and faster file transfers between network-connected machines.....

OP: don't be so sure about others in your complex not having wireless connections....... as soon as you try to connect, you should be able to see other people's available networks.......if they exist....but do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to use them.

8. cube macrumors G5

9. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

just a heads up - contrary to some other posts be aware that all apple airport routers are 'n' not 'g' spec now..