Advice on best option

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwitchyPuppy, Feb 8, 2016.

1. TwitchyPuppy, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

TwitchyPuppy macrumors member

TwitchyPuppy

Hi,

I'm in Canada and on Android. I might get the 6s (subsidized or from Apple, I don't know yet).

The thing is that I'm full signal at my place but only folks with iPhones barely have one or two dots. Has the 6s improved, radio-wise? Are the antenas weaker? I know the carrier has a lot to do with it too, though. Yet we compared with same carrier but significantly different signal strength on Android and iOS. It does seem like a really amazing device, but no expandable storage doesn't play in its favor.

All things considered, I don't really know what to do at this point.

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

At our home I generally find that my nexus and my wifes s6 get a better signal than my iphone 6S+

3. TwitchyPuppy thread starter macrumors member

TwitchyPuppy

Hmm. That is to be taken into consideration. Thanks for your feedback!

4. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

As explained by Steve Jobs during his 2010 'Antennagate' press conference, Apple's algorithm to display the actual reception in terms of bars/dots strives to show more accurate values. In other words, it is quite possible that although an iPhone and some other phone not running iOS may have similar reception at your place yet show different values i.e. iPhone showing relatively less reception. If so, chances are that call and data quality at your home on 2 different devices, one of them being an iPhone, are potentially similar. (Unless you're on Wind Mobile, eh? ;))

5. lagwagon, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

As iThingsGurl said. Different phones can display different cellular bar values even though the actual strength is. It's all depending on how that manufacturer of the phone sets those values and nearly every manufacturer are different. (Like 3 bars could be X value on phone 1 while 4 bars can be X value on phone 2. Same value but display at different bars out of the typical 5 bar visual.)

If you're on Rogers you can also take advantage of Wifi Calling if the signal is in fact sucky. Which will use wifi instead whenever cell signal is weak. It's great and I use it all the time because the Rogers signal in my house is bad.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I've recently moved from iPhone 5 to 6S and if anything i'm getting a better signal in places where the 5 struggled.

7. BentTable123 macrumors member

The 6s is definite improved over the 4 and 5s. Although I can get 5 bars of 4G signal, it translate to only 2-3 bars of LTE signal. Yet those 2 -3 bars of LTE has low ping and superfast download speeds from 30 to 50 mbps.