Advice on best over-ear headphones

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by catachip, Apr 19, 2008.

1. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I'm looking to buy a new pair of closed, over-ear headphones. I would primarily use them for listening to music and watching movies. I don't do audio editing, or anything professional with audio. I would like to spend less than $100.

I would appreciate any advice you guys could offer. Also, are there any particularly good sites to read unbiased reviews, etc.?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There is Head-Fi.org but it's not always the most reliable source of info. Sub-$100 headphones have been done to death though over there and I think the most common answer you'll encounter is the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.

3. Schnebar macrumors 6502

check out the grado sr-60 or 80

those get great reviews and I love mine

4. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

+1
    Grado's are the best sounding cans for under $100. Just make sure, if your going to use high-end phones, you have a high-end source.

5. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

got my wife Sennheiser Hd280 Pro's

they're quite good, at least that's what she sez ;)

review

everyone's ears are different, so YMMV.

6. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Try ebay for some Bose QuietComfort 2's. My dad loves his and the sound is amazing!

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

Another vote for HD-280s. They are what we use when everyone needs to be hearing the same thing. My production partners and friends all have our preferred individual headphones, but sometimes everyone needs to be hearing the same thing.

They are affordable, rugged (after taping the hinges at either side of the head pad), accurate, and comfortable. The only downside is they are not the sexiest, but for headphones for you to enjoy on your own without disturbing others, they cannot be beat for the ~$80 US they will set you back.

Attached Files:

8. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Please don't buy them. Unless you need noise canceling, in which case they're the best in their field; and for $300... +1 to the Senn's HD.

Victor

9. threeloaves macrumors newbie

How about the AKG K 240 You can probably find them on ebay fairly cheap now.

10. catachip thread starter macrumors regular

catachip

As an update, I went with the Sennheiser HD280 Pros. I love them! Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate all your input.

11. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

You're welcome:) Glad to help. You know, I might get me some of those Sennheiser HD cans in the near future, keep the Bose QC2 for traveling only...

Victor