Advice on best video chat options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mickmr, Dec 29, 2008.

1. mickmr macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I need a video chat application which my wife can use to chat with her business clients. I am pretty good at helping her with technical issues, but I have no experience with videoconferencing. We are also new to Mac computer(We will be switching from PCs this month!:)).

Helpful features would include:
    1. Ability to share files.
    2. Ability to show client her desktop so she can point out items in documents.
    3. Simple to use - Some of the clients on the other end are older people who are not computer savvy. Something they could click on in an email to connect with her would be great if possible.
    4. Mac and PC compatibility
    5. Ability to connect even if videocam is only used on one end of the connection(her end). I doubt many of her clients own videocams.
    6. Reliability - a buggy connection would not impress her clients.

I imagine iChat might work, but would other options be better for her situation?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,

Mick

2. timestoby macrumors 6502

camfrog works on both mac and pc.its software that has loads of video chatrooms with fast servers,so no lag. if you buy camfrog pro like i did then it allows you to host ur own room with upto 10 guests.you can send and receive files and the ability to use mics aswell one to one.

id say its really simple to use. its the same as an yahoo or msn messenger.you can do everything you can do with them messengers with camfrog,except the video doesnt lag like in yahoo or msn.

when ur in the vid chatrooms with pro you can view 100 cams.you can use camtwist to show people ur desktop aswell. and if you have pro you can make the window of the chat anysize,there are like 5 diff sizes you can make the cams.

plus when ur not home you can set up a webcam so you can view ur home while not at home lol.

id say try it out and get an idea of how fast the vids are in the chat rooms.it does everything you need it to do. i think if you pay more you can use the software on ur own site aswell. camfrog dot com.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008