Advice on Bluetooth Mouse for new MacBook needed!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shenan1982, Mar 10, 2015.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I'm upset I won't be able to (practically) continue using my Logitech MX Anywhere mouse on my new 2015 MacBook. I loved it because the tiny dongle was reliable, and the mouse was the only mouse I've ever had that truly works on any surface, including glass and mirrored texture surfaces.

But like all things, the fun must come to an end, and I have to switch to a bluetooth mouse with the new model due to lack of always-present usb ports... fine by me, but now I need a new mouse.

I have a magic mouse on my iMac, which I like, but I don't know if it's the best travel mouse. It'd DEFINITELY not as nice as the Logitech MX Anywhere on glass, and some reflective surfaces it won't work without a pad of some sort... usually in hotels I just use a piece of paper.

Suggestions?

2. newellj macrumors 601

For a thin/light BT mouse, look at the Logitech - T631 Ultrathin Optical Touch Mouse. I used one with my 2013 Dell XPS 13 and have been using one for over a year with my rMBP. I've been extremely pleased with it. The only downside is that its small, but that was what you asked for. :D

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I saw that and thought wow how cool! But then I saw that to recharge it, you must plug it into a USB port, which immediately negates it's usefulness with the new MB hehe. Dohhhh

Any others you recommend?

4. newellj macrumors 601

The Magic Mouse...

Back to the Logitech, here's how I charge it. In my office I have an old full size USB to micro USB cable that I stick into my corporate desktop. At home I have an old Blackberry micro USB charger. Problem solved... BTW, the product literature claims that every minute on a charger gives you an hour of runtime. And the battery life has been truly outstanding.

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Hmm, looking at the reviews, the Magic Mouse and Logitech you reference both seem to suffer from the same issues on reflective surfaces (not sure why so many hotels these days use glass desks, makes mice chase their tails)....

Guess I just have to decide between the Magic Mouse, and the Logitech BT you reference. I do love my MM at home, so maybe I'll stick with that. Just wish Apple redesigned it to be more all-surface. Grrr.

6. newellj macrumors 601

The MX mouse you mentioned was my absolute favorite for years, in part because you could use it on anything. The granite top on the island in our kitchen is just as bad as glass. The MM and the Logitech BT are sort of ok, but nothing works as well as the MX. I will say that for a while I carried the MM around in the back pocket of my laptop sleeve and it wasn't a big problem. Give it a try - it's a great mouse. The Logitech BT micro is a great mouse, though. If by any chance you're in the Boston area I actually have a spare I could loan you (from the now-gone Dell).

7. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Opposite side of the country, San Francisco, but I do appreciate the offer and the advice. I do like the idea of the Magic Mouse... it just works so well, and I can pick up a spare set of AAs anywhere if it dies in the middle of something critical.

Thanks!

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I just got the Logitech M557. I've been using a Anywhere MX forever, but one of them died and I needed another one. Since I've been having problems with them since Yosemite, I decided to try another model and got the M557.

I only got it yesterday, so I can't give you an extensive review, but so far, so good.

+ the size is roughly the same as the AMX.
    + it works !
    + I can still pilot it with my finger tips
    + you can customize the buttons. That's particularly important to me as I got used to using the small one below the wheel as a middle click, and use it all the time.

- the form factor is a bit different and it's a little less comfortable to hold than the AMX. Less rounded, and no curves to rest your fingers. But I suppose I will get used to it.
    - doesn't seem like you can customize the wheel's scrolling speed ?
    - no thumb buttons.

. it's lighter, but not so much that you feel like holding nothing.
    . no "super wheel" if you use that function for super fast scrolling.

So, after years with the AMX and having tried quite a few mouses that never ever got close to the AMX, I do have high hopes for this one.

9. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Good advice. The only thing I don't like is the gaudy windows logo on it... don't know if I can get past that.

The reviews are very good, except they all say no glass or shiny surfaces.