advice on brand specs etc for cable modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lasloduncan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

my current one is a 2.0--my cable company says a 3.0 would be more ideal for me...advice on that please what kind where to buy what not to do?...thanks you--for an at home imac and old win laptop

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your cable provider should have a web page listing customer owned cable modems they support. Check that list for Docsis 3 cable modems. I have the Arris SB6183 and have been happy with it, and most US cable providers I have seen support this model.

One thing to be careful of is the number of channels the cable modem will support. For example, the SB6183 will support 16 bonded download channels, so it will work with the top speed tiers my cable provider sells. Some cheaper models like the Arris SB6141 only support eight bonded download channels, so even though it is a Docsis 3 modem, it will not work at some of the higher speed tiers.

3. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2016 ---
    thank you weasel your my hero...you always bother to help us ...not so bright and noobies I will check the web site....and go to best buy that should get it...thanks for your help-

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I purchased a Zoom 5341 modem from BB about a year ago and I've been very happy with it. It's cheaper than the SB6141 and it's been rock solid.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

One thing to look out for is the up and coming 3.5 spec that will allow gigabit internet. I don't think they are even available yet.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have the Arris (formerly Motorola branded) Surfboard line. Like @Weaselboy. I have the SB6183.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe that Zoom model can also only bond eight download channels, so depending on the OP's cable provider, it might be limited to the lower speed tiers. I'm on Time Warner and from their modem list here, that Zoom model will not support speeds over 100Mbps.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have a Netgear CM500 for my personal use with Comcrap - it's been rock solid, which is more than I can say about the SB6141 I used before. The Cm500 has the same Broadcom chipset as the SB6183, it's a bit cheaper than the SB6183, and you can save spending some additional money for the sunglasses you'll need to dim the glare of the garish lights on the SB6183... :cool:

9. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

just face it away from you lol

10. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have white walls. Still couldn't stand the blue glare! :cool:

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have mine in a closet, but yeah those lights are pretty bright. I guess you could slap some white electrical tape over them.

12. campyguy macrumors 68040

I used black electrical tape on my SB6141 and that took care of it. The CM500 was on sale at the time and in stock locally the day I wanted to shoot my buggy SB6141 (despite Netgear's help over at DSLReports.com...). I'd surmise that the Motorola/Arris cable modem group is heavily invested in black electrical and duct tape!

13. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have no issue with the lights on the SB6183. It sits in the corner of my office behind my printer and my Drobo... so don't even notice them unless there's an issue that requires me to check them for status.

14. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have light blue eyes, the image of my SB6141 is scorched in my retinas to this day! Yes, kidding...

I found the CM500 for $10 less and figure I don't have to spend $20 more over the next few years (again, kidding) on black electrical tape to cover the lights, let alone decent polarized sunglasses.

I'm from NYC. I see those lights on the SB6141/6183 and all I can think of is the neon "Motel" "Motel" "Motel" flashing signs on 6th. I could put my CM500 in a dark forest at night and you would still trip over it. ;)

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

At least you haven't had to deal with an Alcatel. The tape does nothing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]