Advice on buying 1st iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOrbit, May 20, 2013.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

so i'm looking to buy my first iPhone, im very excited to finally use a Phone that will be part of the apple ecosystem since i have everything else (iPad/Mac/iPod/TV)

only problem is, i don't know when i should buy this iPhone.

heres the deal; im not looking to own the latest and greatest iPhone. Originally i was going to buy a used iPhone 4 from ebay. after a little research i thought the situation was a little awkward and risky, and i prefer to just buy one from new from a carrier or Apple. i'm in the UK.

Apple is selling iPhone 4 at about £300, in particular i noticed the carrie Orange has just dropped their iPhone 4 price from £409 to £299. but a thought dropped my mind - should i wait for WWDC 2013?

will all stores start selling iPhone 4S at the same price as the iPhone 4 when apple announce a new iPhone?

i just want to know when i should go ahead and buy it. i don't want to wait and buy an iPhone 4S if its going to be sold at £400+ price. £300 is affordable for me.

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Apple won't be announcing the new iPhone at WWDC so it won't make a difference if you wait until then, Apple will more than likely announce it, along with a new iPad, around September, if they had a new iPhone in the works for June, there would be much more in terms of leaks (or maybe they weren't kidding about doubling down on security...)

Buying from used from eBay isn't risky if you're smart about it, I got my iPhone 4S that way for $350 like 2 days after the iPhone 5 came out and it went smoothly (I'm in the US)

If you can wait until Sept, they iPhone 4S will drop in price a bit.

3. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah ok, i wish i could get the 4S. there was some iOS 6 features i wanted more of that arent available on the iPhone 4. i can still be happy with an iPhone 4 though.

as far as i know, there is ways to be smart about getting off ebay, however for me it is kind of a hassle to try and find trust in a particular sellar, and negotiate details to make sure the phone isn't stolen, and then arrange to have the handset registered under my name with apple etc to make sure it doesnt maliciously get reported stolen. things like that make it a hassle, i want to be secure with the Phone and i know im only going to get the kind of security im looking for by buying it new.

good for you getting a 4S cheaper through ebay though, i would imagine its even more difficult in the US to get one safely on ebay.

i look forward to getting my iPhone in the next couple weeks then!

is the iPhone 4 likely to run iOS 7?

4. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I hightly doubt the iPhone 4 will support iOS 7.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Next one should be out by Sept, at which time the 4 should drop by another usd$100. Up to you: wallet vs patience.

if it runs IOS7, it will do so slow.

6. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

If you don't care about the latest and greatest, then just get the iPhone 5. It's an excellent phone. I don't think the next iPhone is coming until this fall and chances are you will be able to take advantage of almost all of the new features in iOS 7.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't. The 3GS still supports iOS 6.x despite the fact it is no longer sold. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple supports the 4 for one more iOS version, at the least, but discontinues selling the handset alltogether when the next iPhone launches.

8. thebadger1976 macrumors newbie

Any particular reason you want to buy the phone without a contract? The 4 is free on a £20 a month tariff. And in fact the 5 is only £99 on a £27 a month deal. Makes much more sense as long as you're planning to use the phone for a couple of years.

9. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I think if you're not looking for the latest thing, you might want to get the iPhone 5 and stick with it because it is a great phone with excellent features and the most recent. If you do not wish to get the latest one, you might want to get the 4S which is good too. It's a matter of preference. I don't know If there will be a new iPhone at WWDC 2013 but since you're not looking for the latest, you could stick with the 5 even if a new iPhone comes out.

Just my 2 cents.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I don't think you should buy the 1st iPhone, it's a bit outdated now.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Some people like to collect things like classic Apple devices. It may be outdated and unnecessary to have to you but others would like to have to sell in the future or to just feel cool they have it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

12. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

True, I actually searched for 1st gen iPhones after I posted this - and some bloke had a mint one advertised for $10,000 a while ago!

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Think you were just joking, weren't you?...He wants to purchase his first iphone ever, not the first iphone ever built...:D but might be a very good collectors item

14. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I know :D

But hey, I actually learned something through my lame jokes and the thread! I should have bought a 1st gen iPhone, left it mint for 5 years.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You're not going to have a good experience if you plan on running newer versions of iOS on the iPhone 4. And even if iOS 7 is supported, it's not gonna be fun. Save yourself the aggravation and get the 4S. At least you'll be good for a couple years. The 4S is leaps and bounds ahead of the 4.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

And Apple branded towels, Apple bedsheets, Apple chinas. :D

Once with an iPhone, iPod superfluous.

17. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah i might see about my patience to save a little longer :p

Yeah my iPod touch will be, i intend to go with an iPod classic instead in future