Advice on buying a 4s battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FallenAnjel, Mar 6, 2015.

1. FallenAnjel macrumors member

My 4s is 3 years old and the battery is just about shot. I'm on limited time. I get 2 hours if I'm lucky. It often discharges as it's plugged in. Today I'm struggling to get it to 100% from 87% and it's been plugged in for 4 hours! I have it in airplane mode w/ wifi on (so my son can contact me if need be).

I looking on ifixit.com and it looks pretty easy to change the battery. I have an old 4 I will take apart first to check it out then will try my own phone.

Is there just one Mah hours I can buy or are there other sizes? I would love to go a little more but I'm sure if I just got the "regular" size i'd be fine.

What is the "normal" mah for a 4s battery?

I have no money to buy another (used) 4s or even a 5 so right now my only option is to change the battery. If I wasn't planning on moving in a few months I'd just buy a 6 outright but that money is spoken for already.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. SoIsays macrumors regular

Don't hesitate. Go and buy the ifixit battery and tools. If the battery turns out to be bad, just email customer service and they'll right you.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've done quite a few replacements in the 4/4s/5. It's not too bad other than fighting the adhesive.

As for the batteries. The stock one is 1430 mAh. I've gotten them form iPhone4parts before for $8 but I wouldn't go with them at the moment. The prices went back up to about what you can get on Amazon for a comparable battery. Plus shipping (and processing) is pretty slow. I ordered a white conversion kit from them on Feb 25 and it still hasn't gotten here. They do quote 5-20 days however. Big range.

The most recent replacement I've done was with a Stalion battery on Amazon. It was more than some others, but it seems to be working just fine in the iPhone 5 I put it in. I might grab another for my 4s I'm restoring. They have a warranty of some sort and you can always go through Amazon if there's a problem.

I'd just grab one from a place that seems reputable and has good reviews. That Stalion one would be a decent start. iFixit is good too, but usually pricer. But I'd imagine you'd get a kit too.

So go for it, pretty easy to do yourself and you learn something while feeling a sense of accomplishment. Otherwise, there may be shops around you that can do it for a reasonable fee. I worked at a place where we did iPhone battery replacements for a flat $30.

4. FallenAnjel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I decided to go w/ iFixit because I'd have to buy a tool kit separately with Stalion on Amazon and I also used a $5 off coupon on iFixit so I'm only paying $25.

I'll try to remember to update after I fix it.

5. FallenAnjel thread starter macrumors member

Update

Well I DID IT! I changed the battery! It literally took less than 15 minutes I'm changing my son's battery next so that should take about 5 minutes considering how easy it is.

With the old battery I would lose 1% per minute and the phone would be dead inside of two hours. Today is the first day w/ the new battery and in 3 hrs, 10 min. I've lost only 34% (or 23/128 of 1% per minute.) and I'm streaming via bluetooth so it should last even longer than that w/o streaming. I still use my battery case so I easily can get 12 hours w/o dropping below 60% simply because 99% of the places i am has wifi.

... I didn't finished this post and I'm still happily streaming away and I'm at 39% after 4-1/2 hours. :)