Advice on buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JG271, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

So, like many people I plan on buying a new laptop once they get upgraded.
    However, i can't choose between getting a macbook and keeping my mac mini, or selling the mac mini and getting a macbook pro.

I'm not sure of the advantages of having two computers, and a laptop would definitely be favorable since I'm going to university next year. In fact, i probably wouldn't bring my mac mini with me, if i keep it.

My only concern is if get the macbook pro i have no backup plan if for some reason it dies, which isn't very likely... but I'm still concerned.

I apologize if this question appears vague, but i really have no idea what would be best to do. Thanks for your responses.

2. rubberball macrumors newbie

Hi

First... if you're looking for a which should I buy thread please SEARCH the forums... This has been answered very thoroughly through multiple threads.

For me I have an iMac and a MacBook (similar to the setup you would have in the way one laptop one desktop)

I love it, I don't do much on my laptop except type papers and run excel, but the big screen is nice to have at home. I might have gotten a MacBook Pro and an external monitor for the same effect.

But it is nice just in case one of the computers has to be repaired to have the other to use...

3. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'm aware that many threads already exist, but each person's situation is different. For example i am going to university, and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.
    How likely is a complete failure in 3/4 years? Am i just being paranoid?
    At least it wasn't a matte/glossy question:p

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The only reason for someone to buy a MacBook Pro over a MacBook is because they need the GPU. All of the other features are insignificant.

I'm not sure what difference getting rid of your Mac mini will make to whether you buy a Pro or not - it's not as if the mini does something which MacBook cannot.

I say buy a MacBook and get rid of the mini. No need for a pro unless you are a gamer or video editor.

5. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

Thanks for the reply, i should have mentioned that i would sell it for money reasons.
    I will probably do that then.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You want to base your choice off of what kind of major you plan on having in uni. If you are doing anything with graphics a MBP would be my first suggestion. If you are just writing papers and using internet a macbook would be a great choice.

Something noone recommends however and I would suggest to everyone is if you are set up in a dorm why not get a laptop and a nice external monitor. Run your computer in extended desktop mode so you have the nice large screen of a desktop (w/o taking up hardly any space) and the portability of a laptop when you need it. I use this at work all the time and its great.