Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hello all,

I'm happy to say I'm heading over to the U.S. this Saturday, for a month!! :D While I'm over there i hope to pick up a Macbook or Macbook Pro for starting college in September (About $400 cheaper!!). I haven't decided which one yet, I'll have to wait to see how much my parents are willing to loan me while I'm over there.
I have a few questions about the whole thing and would greatly appreciate and advice anyone can give me. I live in Ireland, by the way, if that's relevant...

1. Where is the best place to buy one? As in, are there different rates of taxes in different States(I'll be traveling around the country) or are some retail outlets cheaper?
(If i was buying here I would get it at the online Apple Store, but that's not an option over there since I won't have a shipping address.)

2. Does anybody know if the warranty will cover the laptop outside the U.S.?
I know support is available here, but will I be covered?
On the apple site, it says that products which don't require a power cable to operate are covered worldwide, but do the Macbooks and MBPs come under this category?

3. Are the regional keyboards much different?
Has anyone out there used both the U.K. and U.S. format keyboards? Is it hard to switch?

If there is anything else I should take into consideration which I've left out I would really appreciate it if you shared your thoughts on the matter.

Oh, and, power cable shouldn't be an issue, since I have a world travel adapter kit for my iPod charger and the Macbooks and MBPs use the same kit.

My thanks in advance,
naraic

230b

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
Heres what the standard US keyboard looks like (not necessarily for a mac):

540px-KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg.png

And the standard for UK & Ireland (not necessarily for a mac):

540px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Take that for what you will. Sorry that was the only thing I could find.. but hope it helps!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1. Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon are states that don't have sales tax. I recommend buying while in one of them. If you are going to buy in a store, the Apple stores are the way to go. If you want a BTO option you are going to have to order it.

2. MB and MBP warranties are international.

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Take that for what you will. Sorry that was the only thing I could find.. but hope it helps!

Thanks!! Nothing major there, just the strange enter key...? I that doesn't really worry me too much. Thank you!

1. Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon are states that don't have sales tax. I recommend buying while in one of them. If you are going to buy in a store, the Apple stores are the way to go. If you want a BTO option you are going to have to order it.

Ok, thanks...hopefully I'm gonna be through one of those states, I'm going R-V-ing, so there's no telling where I might end up. Ill be getting the standard options with them anyway, unless I get the Macbook, and I'll upgrade it to 2gb RAM, but I'll probably do that online when i get back. It seems to be about half the price on the apple store that way!?!
Thanks again for the help!

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
1. If you want a BTO option you are going to have to order it.

If BTO is only more RAM, stores will often do at same price as aapl order (i.e. pull 2 x 512 and install 2 x 1G on a mb, for same aapl price). There seems to be some competition between stores and phone/online. Call and ask. Downside is probably can't return.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Don't forget to not carry the box back with you on your way home!

If you're eligible for the Apple Higher Education Store back home, have a good look (if you haven't) - price-wise it's only slightly more expensive than the standard US price and you get a 3-year warranty thrown in.

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Don't forget to not carry the box back with you on your way home!

If you're eligible for the Apple Higher Education Store back home, have a good look (if you haven't) - price-wise it's only slightly more expensive than the standard US price and you get a 3-year warranty thrown in.

Yeah, i know abut the whole box thing, I want to get a nice case for it anyway, so I'll have a look while I'm over there.
I didn't realise that they came with a 3-year warranty, now I'll have to check out the Education site here... If there's less than €150 of a difference I might just wait for Leopard, since that will add on...eh...about €130...? I'm not too sure... Thanks

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Yeah, i know abut the whole box thing, I want to get a nice case for it anyway, so I'll have a look while I'm over there.
I didn't realise that they came with a 3-year warranty, now I'll have to check out the Education site here... If there's less than €150 of a difference I might just wait for Leopard, since that will add on...eh...about €130...? I'm not too sure... Thanks
Cool - I thought you probably would know about the box, but better to be safe!

Do check about the HE Store - not sure what the deal would be in Ireland, but in the UK, the entry MB (for example) is £601 so only about £50 more expensive than the States but with extra warranty.

BTW just in case you don't know, there's 2 education stores in the - pretty sure it would be the same in Ireland (as it is with other countries).

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
BTW just in case you don't know, there's 2 education stores in the - pretty sure it would be the same in Ireland (as it is with other countries).

Just checked it out...there's no extended warranty offered in the Irish Education Store :(
Also, there's only one store for education... You can see here

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Reallysorry about steering you wrong there - looks like USA all the way!

lol...no problem... it's better this way rather than coming home to find it's much cheaper in the education store. So thanks :D

lonesoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
2. MB and MBP warranties are international.

If i'm not wrong if you buy the macbook without Apple Care, the one year standard warranty only covers in the region/country you bought it from i.e. if you buy it in the States it will be only covered in the US.

if you were bring it UK you would not be able to get it serviced for defects unless you get apple care.

I called the Apple store few weeks to get a confirmation, but if anyone would elaborate whether that's true would be great :D

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
If i'm not wrong if you buy the macbook without Apple Care, the one year standard warranty only covers in the region/country you bought it from i.e. if you buy it in the States it will be only covered in the US.

Apple is unclear about this with regards to notebooks, I feel...
Make what you will of this taken, directly from the Apple Support site:

Apple or its Apple Authorized Service Providers will provide warranty service on products that are tendered or presented for service during the Warranty Period, as permitted by law. If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide. However, service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. If the product is not portable, warranty service may be restricted to the country where the product is purchased.

naraic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Oh, and just for reference... I found it here
Found under the first paragraph of the section entitled "OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE"

Just in case you're interested. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.