Advice on buying a macbook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JayRmichigan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. JayRmichigan macrumors newbie

Hey there! I'm attending University in the fall, and I will need a computer. I currently have my eyes set on a Macbook Pro, but I have some questions/concerns.

First off, is there really much of a difference between the low end Macbook Pro, and the high end Macbook? The only differences I can find are the size of the screen, the graphics card, and other little things such as multi touch and ambient backlight. I'm not sure if all that stuff is worth the extra $400.

Secondly, would it be wise to buy a computer just before they unveil a new line of laptops? If I were to buy a computer now, I would get in on the student discount and the free iPod deal, but I already know the sting of buying a product just prior to the release of a better version. Not that I care about being trendy or anything, but I'd like to get the most out of a computer I'm spending 2 grand on. I have heard that buying a computer fresh off the assembly line isn't a very wise choice, as they usually have some bugs, plus it would mean spending the first month of school without a computer, or with a really crappy one.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

No one can say for sure whether there is going to be a big change other than than a redesign when the new notebook line is refreshed at the end of September.

I suggest you wait until it is announced unless you need a laptop NOW.

If you need the features of the MBPro then sure get one. However if you can make do with the 13" screen size and built in graphics card then perhaps you can save some money here and upgrade the RAM or something.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

If you are thinking about the diff between normal mac and pro..chances are you can do just fine with normal mac.

Look at it this way. Buy the normal mac now...you wont waste the $400...that way you can get a newer laptop say in 2 years rather than wait longer since you spent so much on your pro and feel that you need to get your money's worth out of it.

4. jroller macrumors regular

As always, it depends on what you plan to do with the computer. Frankly, I prefer the MBPro and think it is "a better machine," however, I don't think it is necessarily worth it in your case. Unless you intend to use the laptop for anything beyond typical use, the MB will do you just fine.

I agree with you and often post that while all technology is aging the moment you buy it, it sure does feel better to buy right after an update than right before it. If you can wait and are willing to forgo the promotion offer, you should. I sincerely believe this will be a product refresh that will mark a notable advancement in the notebook lines. But, there is no guarantee.

5. JayRmichigan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, although I still have yet to make up my mind. I'm thinking I'll buy one, and then sell it in a month. Then I'm just gaining an ipod.:)

After looking some more though, I came upon the realization that the high end Black Macbook is identical to the mid range Macbook, only the mid range Macbook has a lesser hard drive and is $200 cheaper. And if you want, you can upgrade the hard drive to the same one as the Black Macbook for $100. So essentially, you're paying $100 for a black case ... Am I missing something here?! Are there a whole bunch of features and specs that they don't show on the website, or is Apple just ripping everyone off?

6. jroller macrumors regular

No, you pretty much have it right. Don't know that they are actually "ripping everyone off" as the specs and prices are there for everyone to see, but yes, they charge a premium for the black enclosure -- which, let's face it, is a rip off.;)

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

You should start off by identifying your use case and requirements. If you don't need the extra features (such as firewire 800 and dedicated graphics to name a few) of the MacBook Pro save your money and get the MacBook.