Advice on buying a monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Edwin the Elder, May 24, 2008.

1. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

I own a one year old black MacBook with Intel GMA 950 graphics. I am looking to buy an external monitor (something cheaper than an Apple Cinema Display) and am looking for advice on brand and size. It's mainly for iLife work - photos and video.

Also, if I buy an external keyboard and mouse, I can close the lid?

Thanks.

2. wrongrobot macrumors newbie

wrongrobot

Until I moved to the cinema display, I used Viewsonic LCD panels, up to 22", though they make them larger. They are user friendly and generally very good quality. CNET describes some of the Viewsonics and compares them, and though that site is well known for the less-than-helpful bell curve of review rankings, the details are helpful.

When you start up the Macbook, close the lid. The external display should fire up. If not, let it boot normally, THEN close the lid, and the laptop will sleep. Wake it up with a mouse or keyboard input (USB external devices work) and the external display will activate. It took me awhile to sort that out. Once set up, if you keep the lid closed and shut down and reboot normally, the external should remain active. Of course, tat's hard to do without an external power button, which the Cinema Display provides. But anyway. Otherwise, you can always have both screens going and mirror them, or extend the desktop across them.

3. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

Is the Apple cinema display worth it?

Is the 20" a good choice?

thanks.

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I used to use Dell monitors, now using a 30" samsung, calibrated and its spot on, a friend also uses a smaller samsung monitor, as long as they are calibrated the picture quality is really good (never install supplied software)
    and clear, i use it mainly for photographic projects :)

5. fatcat23 macrumors member

If you can afford it, It's definetly worth the money. They look great, I recently went to the store and are so much better than the imac displays(20 & 24").

If you can afford it get the 23". Refurb perhaps...

There are other 22-24" samsungs/dell/etc available for half the price, but thats the key, they are no where near as good as the apple display, thats why the apple display is twice as much. If you have the money, spend it. It's money well spend and you will be a happy camper. lol.

Don't say bad about the apple displays just by looking at the specs (& price), go so the monitor in person and be amazed.

Also consider waiting for the speculated updates to the displays from apple. They might happen at WWDC. maybe, who really knows...

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There is absolutely no way that any of the Apple Cinema Displays are worth the money Apple charges for them.

Apple currently asks CA$699 for a 20" Cinema Display. To put this into perspective, you can currently get a 20" Samsung model (which looks great too, it's just not made of metal) with the same resolution but which has a response time which is eight times faster for just $255.99.

Okay, so the Cinema Display might look a little better but can you justify spending all of that extra money just for a splash of metal?

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'm running an Acer P223W 22" Widescreen monitor off my macbook and it does the job magnificently.

Only cost £150 as well from Amazon, totally worth the money. It's VGA not DVI, but the difference isn't that noticeable.

8. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

another question,

will the blue tooth mighty mouse and keyboard work if the macbook is shut and I'm driving an external monitor?

thanks.

9. Minico88 macrumors newbie

I thought the macbook had a monitor on it!!!!!!!!!!!:apple:

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yep, they should work just fine.

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yes, just be sure to "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in system preferences.