Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhunt37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I have been able to negotiate to buy:
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
MacBook Pro 15-inch Antiglare Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English)
MAC OS X Snow Leopard installed
Microsoft Office Mac 2008 - Home and Student Edition
Bluetooth, Webcam, Wireless, & SD Card Reader

which is two months old for 1500 total. I know this is a really really really good deal but I'm just curious to see what is comming out in the new MBP and I doubt this deal will be around very long..

I think I'm going to pull the trigger but just thought i might run it by all you whizzez out there before I do..

Regads,
J

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That sounds like a very good deal.. 8GB RAM is +350$ anyway and seeing that the 9600M GT model is currently 1999$. It's the top end model so why is he selling it for such a cheap price? That is nearly 3500$ from Apple! So 1500$ for two months old sounds VERY fishy to me, 1000$ drop per month, huh?

Jhunt37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
The person I have been talking to has been going back and forth with negotiations a lot. She didn't just lay down at the 1500. I basically told her that I wanted to wait till the new ones came out and I said that it would have to be an unbelievable deal to make me purchase one before the updates come out. She asked how much of an unbelievable deal.. I said 1400 she came back with 1500. Which is 700 less than she is asking for..

She also mentioned that she was just layed off and desperate.. IDK, Im in purchasing at my business and I can usually smell something when its fishey.. this does not smell to me

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
The person I have been talking to has been going back and forth with negotiations a lot. She didn't just lay down at the 1500. I basically told her that I wanted to wait till the new ones came out and I said that it would have to be an unbelievable deal to make me purchase one before the updates come out. She asked how much of an unbelievable deal.. I said 1400 she came back with 1500. Which is 700 less than she is asking for..

She also mentioned that she was just layed off and desperate.. IDK, Im in purchasing at my business and I can usually smell something when its fishey.. this does not smell to me

What ever new DOES come out it will cost near 3 times what you can get this one for. You choice is $1500 or $3500 to $4000 for new down the road and you want us to tell you which?

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL

JHunt, Does this "laptop" happen to be in tampa,Florida?

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
That is a total scam which sounds 100% like the one i just went thru. Theres a "girl" in tampa,florida selling the EXACT same laptop on craigslist for $1500 cash. "she" said she bought it from apple in february and she has apple care with it. I emailed her back and forth asking questions. I finally decided to meet her. She wouldnt give me her number after repeated requests. She used a hotmail account and told me thats how we can communicate. Anyways, long story short. She said she worked at a cafe in tampa and that she was waiting for me there with her boss. She wanted to meet after dark. I get there, the place is really dark, the business is closed and theres a car outside in the darkest part of the lot with 4 people in it. I immediately pulled outta there. These people will 100% definetly rob you...Thats an insane price for a maxed out macbook pro. I had doubts from the get go but "she" seemed like a nice person. Im sure the "she" is actually a he.

Jhunt37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Neither singapore or tampa.. lolz.. I live just south of Houston..

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Neither singapore or tampa.. lolz.. I live just south of Houston..

Just do the deal at a Starbucks and have her type up and sign something that says she sold the computer to you. That's what I do for other folks when I sell a computer through Craigslist or something.

If your sellers asks why you need it, just tell her it's to transfer the ownership over and have something to show to Apple if they need confirmation.

cap3973

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Arizona
That is a total scam which sounds 100% like the one i just went thru. Theres a "girl" in tampa,florida selling the EXACT same laptop on craigslist for $1500 cash. "she" said she bought it from apple in february and she has apple care with it. I emailed her back and forth asking questions. I finally decided to meet her. She wouldnt give me her number after repeated requests. She used a hotmail account and told me thats how we can communicate. Anyways, long story short. She said she worked at a cafe in tampa and that she was waiting for me there with her boss. She wanted to meet after dark. I get there, the place is really dark, the business is closed and theres a car outside in the darkest part of the lot with 4 people in it. I immediately pulled outta there. These people will 100% definetly rob you...Thats an insane price for a maxed out macbook pro. I had doubts from the get go but "she" seemed like a nice person. Im sure the "she" is actually a he.

Wow...that's crazy! Is there a thread on known scams like this? If not you should start one and repost this.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
That is a total scam which sounds 100% like the one i just went thru. ..... stuff....

yup...sounds like the same operator...She suggested a very remote place to seal the deal and refused my suggestions to do the transaction in a coffee shop...And boy...did she act dumb or what!!! So finally...I asked her for the serial number to check for the warranty status and there...never heard from her again...

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

You did the only smart thing you could have done. Glad you got out of there the way you did!

Komodo Rogue

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have been able to negotiate to buy:
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
MacBook Pro 15-inch Antiglare Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English)
MAC OS X Snow Leopard installed
Microsoft Office Mac 2008 - Home and Student Edition
Bluetooth, Webcam, Wireless, & SD Card Reader

which is two months old for 1500 total. I know this is a really really really good deal but I'm just curious to see what is comming out in the new MBP and I doubt this deal will be around very long..

I think I'm going to pull the trigger but just thought i might run it by all you whizzez out there before I do..

Regads,
J

Wow, if that is indeed legit, I would totally jump on it. In fact, if you decide against it I would be interested in the contact information... I mean that's a REALLY great deal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.