Advice on buying a 'new' MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jhunt37, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jhunt37 macrumors newbie

I am about to purchase a 2.53 320gig 15' mbp for 1200. It has the 500 meg video processor adn 4 gigs of ram and 2 more years of applecare. I know the new ones are comming out but I dont think I can afford it and this, especially with the best video card available (today) should be more than enough for me.

My question is what is the best way to go about purchasing a computer from craigslist. He has all the boxes accesories and original paperwork.. is their anything else I should do to protect myself?

many thanks..

J

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get the serial number and check the warranty.

If smells fishy it is fishy.

Alternative will be to wait for the new ones and buy from apple.com, or macmall.com

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Meet him in public (e.g. at Starbucks, gas station). Play with it and check that everything works before handing over the money. Ask his phone number (if you haven't already) so you can trace him later on if needed. Oh, and don't forget to check that it actually has warranty left from here!

4. apw100 macrumors regular

Yeah, get them to type up a bill of sale and a copy of their Drivers license. If there is an Apple store near you, tell the seller to meet you there and have the Apple people check it out

5. Jhunt37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome.. thanks guys as always. Any other ideas?

I think this one is ok.. with applecare I feel pretty safe

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

JHunt, what happened to the 3.06 gig 15" macbook pro for 1500?

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If it has 2 years of AppleCare, you should be golden. It would be still good to take it to Apple Store to make sure they check it out.