advice on buying a video camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebends, Jan 27, 2010.

1. thebends macrumors newbie

Just had a baby a few months back, and now looking to purchase a camera. But have been told that some video cameras freeze up when connected to the mac. Can anyone give me some advice on a decent camera, not to expensive thanks. Im leading torwards a harddrive based one.

thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

How high-quality and full of bells and whistles do you want? A flip mineo is great for "snapshot" variety movies, it's easy to manipulate the movies, and it's a small, fun form-factor.

3. thebends thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a flip an older version, want something abit better. Dosnt have to be great.

4. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I have a Canon HV30 - very nice cam.
    I am sticking with HDV - tape mainly because I dont trust hard drives to the point where I can be rough with one. Let's face it that camcorder will get dropped at least once in its lifetime. Then there's the fact if you're "out there" and run out of space on the camera - you can't just swap tapes and be done; you have to download everything to a laptop.
    Tapes are cheap and they last forever. Modern digital tapes like MiniDV will last for decades sitting in a box and left alone.
    I have old Video8 analog tapes from 1985 that still play. I transferred them to MiniDV two years ago, so they should be OK for another 20 years.

If you don't want to go HD - the Canon ZR960 is Canon's only current miniDV model - around $450.