Advice on buying an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beaglebark, Jun 3, 2008.

1. beaglebark macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Just wondering if there is any rumor or speculation about a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. Any clue on what it could look like? Thanks.

2. jonswan macrumors regular

I reckon it could be yellow and shaped like a banana.

Just kidding - it's likely to be almost completely the same as the current one - considering it's not been out long what would be the point of changing it? Besides it's near enough perfect as it is. On the other hand, watch to see what the new iPhone will look like and go from there.

3. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

I can not imagine a hardware change anytime soon but maybe a software update next week.

4. illidian macrumors 6502

The software update will be at the end of June.

5. robzr macrumors member

Nobody (whose talking) knows, what we do know is that it's tied to the iPhone in some ways, and theres an iPhone update riiiight around the corner... Apple has a habit of showing us features we didn't even know we needed (wanted). If I were you I'd wait.

Also, I'm sure a lot of touch owners are waiting for the new iPhone to come out in order to move to an iPhone (like me), so even if a new touch doesn't come out, the used market will have more touches, and a corresponding price drop should follow.

Rob

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If there is a new one, is will be in September/October, at a specific iPod event.

Apple are clearly trying to unload their current touches on students over the Summer, hopefully to make way for a new one, or at least 'End of Life' the 8GB version, and lower the 16 and 32GB prices, keeping the starting price at $299/£199.

7. beaglebark thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway, I am buying one this week from Mac Mall. For the most part, I think that most changes will be software. I think they will keep this model in the loop for a while, even if there is Hardware. I mean, c'mon, 300 dollars for a device that will be abandoned as soon as new hardware is released?

8. illidian macrumors 6502

I expect the iPod Touch to have a significantly longer lifespan than any other iPod (mini, nano, classic, etc.) because of its frequent software updates.

1G iPods are still supported. As are 1G Nanos, even the discontinued Minis, etc. There's no reason to believe the 1G Touch will be any different.