Advice on buying an Old School Mac - G4/G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hakkera, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Hakkera macrumors member

Hi all,

About a year ago I owned a nice polycarbonate white Macbook [I think it was the model previous to the current one - it had squareish corners, but still a c2d] Long story short I needed money and I didn't have a use for a laptop anymore, so I sold it and went back to using Windows, a situation I am still in today.

I defintely miss working with OSX, and whilst I don't have the money to replace a Quad Core PC with Dual Graphics Cards that runs CS5, I'd love to get an old Mac and fool about with it for every day tasks - Word processing, Using as a music library etc.

I'm not too bothered if I have a Laptop or a Desktop, as I doubt I'd move them around but iMacs are more expensive than Macbooks, so I'm wondering what would I would be best of spending my money on.

I have about £200-300 to spend on a second hand machine.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have no experience using non Intel machines.

Thanks.

2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

A G4 would be the best choice. Maybe an iMac G4? Then upgrade it yourself and you'll have a very usable computer. Get a 17 or 20 inch if you can find one, and make sure it has at least a 1 GHz processor, that still can barely survive in the modern world.

3. Hakkera thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking around at the moment, and obviously I'd want something that could survive with reasonable integrity. I'm not sure about G4s, however a Mac Pro G5 can be obtained for about 250. Sure I'd have to buy a monitor and another keyboard and mouse, but I might be able to do that for £50. Anybody have any experience of working with G5 Pros? Can they still cut it today?

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I have a dual core G5 @ 2.3ghz. I am sure even a slower one would be okay for the things you mentioned.

BTW, it is called a Power Mac G5 not a Mac Pro G5 :)