Advice on Buying, HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HighEndMac, Mar 30, 2011.

1. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Hey guys I need a little advice.

I have an old aluminum MacBookPro 2008,completely maxed out , I think one of the last models before the unibody. (has Snow Leopard)
    I’m all out of space, literally only 1GB of free HD space, I can’t even update my OS system. So its time to buy another.

I’m torn with rumors on the Ivy Bridge processor and the talk about redesigning the shell. (2012)

Guys I need a new computer, not so hot for the external HD because most of my files are music and video in iTunes.

I’m looking to spend $4K, so obviously I want it to last. I just don’t want to spend that kind of money and then have Apple come out with a new sick body design, possibly in flat-black. I’m not going to be happy if I get the last generation of an old model. (I know you can't keep up with technology, but you can at least be smart about it)

What do I do guys;

1.) Get an external HD and deal with the pain.
    2.) Go for the current MacBook Pro (15in AG Hi-Res, 512 SSD, 8GB Memory, 2.3GHz Quad-core = $4K)
    3.) Modify my current aluminum body Pro and add a HD in place of the CD drive.
    4.) Any other options?

I just don’t want to be that guy who drops that kinda loot for an old model in 6 months…plus all the complaining about heat and noise…. It’s a hard decision.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you "need" a new computer there's not much you can do. You can either put up with your old one or play the waiting game indefinitely.

Why don't you buy a new (larger) internal hard drive?

3. svenn macrumors 6502

A full hdd is hardly a reason for a new computer

4. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Agree

But it's still a reason, i could get into more but come on, quad-core, hi-res screen, unibody....

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Don't let rumors and speculation affect your buying decision...

6. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Why don't you buy a new (larger) internal hard drive?[/QUOTE]
    you have to pull the front key board off to access the guts of the MBP, it can be done, but only by an experienced person and i don't know any.

Still yes that,s an option...but is it the right one? will they really have a new body design in 2012 and the Ivy processor??

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows, as usual.

8. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Damn Apple, love their products but its all about marketing and profit at the end of the day. They know exactly what they are going to do. i guess i cant blame them, i love making money as well.

9. themac23 macrumors regular

If you think a total redesign in in the works for next year, and that bothers you, then buy an external hard drive and load all the files you don't HAVE TO HAVE on your laptop onto the external hard drive. Problem solved.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

I think you should simply replace your internal HD will a higher capacity one. Whatever you do: get an external HD to backup your files, a backup solution is mandatory, because it's not a matter of if the drive will die, it's a matter of when, all hard drives die, no exception, having your data in more than one place could save you a lot of headaches.

Use the iFixit.com guide to get to your hard drive, if you know how to properly use a screwdriver you have every ounce of skill you need to change out your HD, it's really isn't hard at ALL.

A full hard drive most definitely isn't a reason to upgrade the whole computer, that's like changing your car when it's time for the first oil change.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

I wouldn't hold my breath for a redesign. The design you have in your hands right now laster for 7 years, while the current one isn't even 3 years old yet.

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

What are the specs of your current MBP? I had a 2.5 GHZ w/512MB 8600GT Penryn "Classic" Early 08' before it was swapped out for a new one (had bad luck with the logic board). I had I think a 320GB or 250GB HDD stock, but I swapped mine out myself, and it isn't listed as "user replaceable" and I am not one to take apart expensive electronics.

The ifixit.com guide is VERY helpful. I used several ziplock baggies and labeled them for what screws are in them. It really isn't that hard! Took me like 30 minutes total, and I was taking my time. I just picked up a 640GB 7200 RPM Samsung HDD for like $70 from Newegg.com.

If you NEED a new computer right now, then get one. You could sell the one you have now for maybe $600-700 or so and put that twords a new computer.

13. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

So I’m guessing the overall consensus is pull the trigger because Apple will always come out with something better eventually. Maybe ill give it until OS Lion comes out in the summer.

Still any input on the Ivy processor Vs. the Sandy?

14. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Sure it will be faster, less power..etc.

You'll absolutely want it when it comes out.

I say buy one now and then buy a second next year when the make it more fancy.

15. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Hey if ur down to float me $4k ill do just that!!;)

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

buy an ssd and use as your internal drive - you will see a significant speed boost (im guessing you've maxed out ram).

I would wait to see the 2012 refresh - it is rumoured to be the hallowed redesign. If its not then you can jump on the latest and greatest machine anyway.