Advice on buying iphone on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pattyinneed, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Pattyinneed macrumors newbie

Dear all,
    I am thinking to buy a iphone on ebay. Do you think that it is safe? What is the main source of the iphone on ebay? They are unlocked and cheaper.

Even though many people shared that the credit of the seller is the key, I know the credit definitely is important. Anyone on this forum bought iphone on ebay?

Could you share about your purchase experience? I would like to know the quality of the unlocked iphone.

I am thinking to buy iphone 5, or iphone 5s.
    Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Have a wonderful blessed day,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You obviously run the risk of getting a phone that is not black listed at the time of sale, but could shortly after the sale. As a buyer, you have decent amount of protection, but I do believe the risk is there.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My advice, don't do it. You do not seem that familiar with eBay or used/new iPhones and you are asking for trouble.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

6. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Agreed don't do it. Buy one from a creditable shop so you have somewhere to go back to if it all goes wrong.

7. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Also agree, don't do it! Too many stories of no phone being received in box, blacklisted blah blah blah...

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Don't do it.

Too many things can go wrong, and there is very little guarantee that you'll end up with a working, legitimate phone.

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

A better option would be to buy a phone on Swappa. Yes, you still have the potential to get scammed, but I have bought/sold plenty of iPhone's on there and with the exception of one minor mishap, I've had a great experience on there.

I stopped buying/selling iPhone's on eBay years ago after having way too many hacked accounts bid and never pay on the phones I sold.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You have something like 6 months to get your money back now. As a buyer I don't think you've ever been better protected than you are now.

I've honestly never heard of a buyer being declined refund. It's always the sellers getting boned.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Do not buy any T-Mobile branded phones. The can be blacklisted for non payment even months after you buy it. On eBay you have at least 45 days to return.

12. noobinator macrumors 601

What makes T-Mobile unique in this regard? Don't all carriers blacklist for non-payment?

13. 617aircav Suspended

From my experience T-Mobile does it. Others will blacklist if reported stolen, and not non payment.

14. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Have a set amount to buy! Mant buyers get competitive and go all out to win and they end buying a smartphone at retail prices but without the warranty of a new store brought phone! On used phones it is a gamble because you always want a super bargain and you don't know until the auction is over how much it is and what you are getting when you put you sims card inside it!

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I've been burned buying phones on E-Bay. The seller flaked, e-bay froze his account, and all of us with lost $ only got back a fraction of $ because they only had so much $ in his account divided amongst all of us. Won't be doing that again. I don't do used phones unless I know the person who had it previously (a friend, coworker, etc...).

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

Why not buy phone from Apple. Zero risk you will be cheated. And so simple to get replacement in remote chance something is wrong. Buying used phones on eBay is just plain nuts.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm guessing that price is one of the main factors that plays a role in it all.

18. HEK Suspended

HEK

I don't care what price you get it on eBay. When it doesn't work, has issues, gets black listed 3 months later you saved nothing and bought a lot of greef. Save up a few more months. The scams have gotten worse over last couple years. If price seems too good their is a reason. Caveat emptor

19. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

So it doesn't matter what the source of the iphone it lists on ebay, from refurbished or over stock. It doesn't matter. It is not trust worthy, right?
    If I want to buy iphone 5 or 5s because of the budget, any suggestions?
    I need wisdom.
    Also I am going to use this phone oversea, not in the States.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your advice. It seems I should stay away from ebay.
    Where should I go then?
    I couldn't afford a brand new one from Apple, no matter SE or 6.

20. Relentless Power, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have been burned multiple times on eBay, even from highly rated sellers. eBay offers buyer protection, but the hassle and time is not worth your money.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Overseas instead of in the States makes a big difference regarding IMEI status.

22. Pattyinneed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will try Swappa.
    Hope will get something reliable there.

23. HEK, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

HEK Suspended

HEK

Buy less expensive phone. Does it have to be an iPhone?. or take your chance with eBay or othe sources. Any friend you know wanting to sell their phone? Coworker etc. other issue will be a 5 or 5s will most likely be needing a new battery. A 5 will be coming up on four year old battery. Why I am suggesting more bargain brand new phone. Anyway, good luck, hope it works out for you wherever you decide to get it.

24. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Guess I am lucky. I am batting 1000 on iPhone purchases on eBay.

25. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple along with carriers offer installment plan so you can pay for you phone in monthly installments! Might want to look into this arrangement!