Advice on buying launch-day Apple products?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by twentytwo22, Mar 2, 2011.

1. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have never bought an Apple product (let alone one as popular as an iPad) on launch day. Can anyone give me any advice?

For example, if necessary, I will be happy to go line up at the Apple Store a few hours at some ungodly time in the morning. However, if I can just log onto Apple.com that morning and pretty much be guaranteed to buy an iPad, I might skip the whole camping-thing and just do that.

If lining up is the only real way to get in on this, I'd like to know that--- as well as, what time do you guys recommend? Does anyone know what time the Apple Store usually opens for launches?

Thanks in advance.

2. yzfmik macrumors newbie

yzfmik

Apple's website states that it will be available @ 5:00pm on March 11th at the Apple Stores. I wouldn't mind going to the store if I knew I could get one, it's an hour drive for me.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Call your store closer to launch day.

4. twentytwo22 thread starter macrumors regular

5:00pm on a Friday? Huh, kinda strange.

5. yzfmik macrumors newbie

yzfmik

People that work all day won't be able to get on line crazy early. Not sure if I should attempt to go to the store or just order online. Suppose I will call the store the day before for some insight.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The original iPhone went on sale on a Friday at 6PM.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

It helps folks with 9-5 jobs not have to give up a significant portion of their workday in order to go stand in line.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you don't want to wait on a line at all, I'd suggest just going with the online option. Though I don't know if they SHIP or DELIVER on the 11th.

9. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Lining up? Caffeine... lots of caffeine. And of course at LEAST one Apple product in hand to play with to kill time. Unless you're one of them social people and actually talk to others.

10. pv1191 macrumors member

Are you going to be there Kadin? :D

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    so is the store going to OPEN at 5? or will it close for a few hours leading up to 5? or will they simply start selling at 5?

12. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I just might. I still have a lot of friends at the store down the street from me. I worked there when the store was opened up until mid-last year. Launches like these were fun as hell to work... for me at least. Doubt I'll be lining up though... I hate standing in lines, lol.

13. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

When I worked for apple retail we would close a few hours early, put up black curtains so people can't see in, then do the floor visuals, and whammo, open again for business :D

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I've only done one "day one" purchase of an Apple product. It was the iPod touch first gen. I regret doing that because all the first batches had major screen issues (and no, it was NOT a software issue, it was all with the hardware). I had to wait two weeks in order to get a good looking touch. Since then I have waited at least two to three weeks after a product comes out, pending reviews and videos.

Although, with the iPad, I got it like 9 months after it was released.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

They're not going to start taking online orders until the 11th, so they can hardly deliver on the same day they take your order.

It's Apple, not ACME (Wile E. Coyote Reference :D)