Advice on buying Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by radiohed, Apr 20, 2011.

1. radiohed macrumors regular

I am needing a new mac but I have an almost new Samsung 27" monitor, Apple KB and MTP. I was going to buy a Mac Mini but after doing some reading, decided the Mini Server was a better due to the storage capacity and ability to add some server functionality. The current Mini Server on the refurb store is 849. My question is, do you think that the updated version will be worth waiting for? I'm going to use it for general tasks mainly with some light PS work. I just wonder if the update will negate the $150 that I save on the current version. :D

2. simsaladimbamba

The updated Mac mini will probably include an i3/5/7 Dual Core CPU with four threads, thus it will be faster than the current one by a lot.
    If you can wait for some more months, then wait, otherwise the current Mac mini will suffice your needs too.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The problem with the server version is *removing* the server functionality you don't need.

That said, a new version with Sandy Bridge and Thunder Bolt are imminent. And if you can wait for Lion, there should be a price reduction since the server version will no longer be an extra cost option. Sandy Bridge also promises external drives with no loss of performance, making buying the server mini no longer important for internal capacity. I use a mini with Snow Leopard Server as a server, but I am still hanging 4 to 5 external drives off of it to get the capacity I need. I wish I had Thunder Bolt rather than FW800.

4. radiohed thread starter macrumors regular

Would I need to remove anything, or could I just not use it? I'm new to setting up servers, and would likely use minimal server functions. I probably won't wait for Lion but will likely upgrade when it is released. I may hold off for a bit to see what the mini upgrade is but currently only have my iPad, so I hope the update is soon.

5. fred_garvin macrumors regular

Don't do it! (Unless you can't live without it for a few months)

In the May - August timeframe:

Lion bundled (save $129 vs buying today)
    Lion includes server features
    Mini will have Thunderbolt, Sandy Bridge, much faster

Their server model may go away, but if the dual drive model sticks, it'll probably drop $100 or more since the software difference will be gone.

I'd absolutely regret buying either a mini or iMac today.

6. Cheerwino macrumors regular

Given how you described your situation, I would definitely wait. There are intriguing possibilities with new Mac Mini with Lion Server and Thunderbolt storage.

I'm sitting on the sidelines to see how it shakes down before I make a move around a media server/NAS setup.

7. BinaryTim macrumors member

Don't forget the SuperDrive

By now you've probably already made your purchase, or decided to wait. But for anyone else contemplating this situation, just keep in mind that the MacMini Server does NOT come with an internal CD/DVD drive (SuperDrive). You will have to buy the external one, which I believe is $99. So that would essentially negate the savings of buying a refurb model MacMini Server (if you ever plan to install other software from disk or burn files to CD/DVD).

If you aren't going to be using the server features, just go with a MacMini. It's cheaper, comes with the SuperDrive built in, and if you need more storage space, just plug in an extra (external) hard drive. You'll still be further ahead cash-wise.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Two things about that statement
    1) Lion is only $29
    2) If he were to purchase now, it would include a free upgrade.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

That post was from 2 months ago.. Before any pricng and availability details were announced.