Advice on buying MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmacnooby, May 25, 2010.

1. newmacnooby macrumors regular

Ok not really i just wanted a tittle that would catch your atention hehe.
    well te thing is im buying my very first mac a mpb the prob is i was really convinced of getting the 2.4Ghz i5 but i just saw a top of the line 15" mbp from the past generation i i would like to know wich one should i get.

ill be using it to edit some raw photos (pentax k-x), some light gaming (mostly rpg, the witcher, sims 3, neverwinter nights 2, and APB if i could), and mostly i would be using it for design progrms as ill be starting my industrial design studies soon.

Pros on lader mbp are just more graphic card power and little cheaper price.
    ill be buying them this moth so im in kind of a hurry(thts why such a tittle)

please people help... and ideeply apologize to apple and mister Jobs.

2. .summerfree macrumors newbie

.summerfree

Get whatever you can afford, dude. I'm actually in a similar situation lol.
    Also consider that the money saved by going with the i5 could go towards more RAM or an SSD.

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'd go with he 2.4GHz i5 and the most RAM you can afford, and an SSD if you can. No reason to date yourself with a C2D processor.

And really? A tittle?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 is faster than C2D and so is 330M. How much is the difference in price?

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

This one time, when I was a kid, I was going down this huge hill on my BMX bike and I smoked an old railroad tie. I flew right over the handlebars and ripped my good pants! I had to wear great big band-aids on my knees for weeks too!

Also, what is the price difference between the two computers?

6. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

here are the specs the thing is i would probably wont be upgrading anything in a long time... much less a SSD as they are really expensive.
    here are the specs

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD Card Slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
    Illuminated keyboard

$1,739.

so it pretty much goes down to the 512mb of video card and the procesor as price goes its pretty much the same.

7. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

I'd go with at least an i5.

You are still a troll.

8. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

oh come on im not a troll and i did apologize...

and could some one give me actual facts instead of the get the latest of the latest stuff.

can someone actually tell me where wold i benefit from the i5 or the 512mb of video???

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

You'd benefit from an i5 if you do any Photoshop editing, video rendering, as well as any other processor intensive application; especially anything 64 bit.

You'd benefit from the extra memory on the graphics side if you do any gaming (Steam just came out for Mac, lotsa options now) or once again a there's negligible difference with Photoshop.

10. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

what about 3d modeling? ill be doing mostly interior design and furniture so its not that complez for 3d editing( r so i think)

11. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

Wtf??

someone changed my very atractive tittle nos no one will coment... what happened???

12. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

definitely go for the i5 mbp
    the 2.4ghz i5 is faster that the 2.8ghz c2d
    the 330m gt score about 12000 while the 9600mgt scores 9300 in 3dmark 05(i think)
    unless there is a $500 difference in the price of these mbps you will be better off with the i5 mbp
    the only time i would recommend an older mbp over a new one is when the price difference is very high

13. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot man thats the one i was most sertenly gettin its just that im buyingmy very first mac actually my very first apple product (yeah i dont own an ipod/iphone was going to get one but i just didnt want to have the same as everyone went for blackberry ..... stupid stupid choice) so i want to make shure watterever y buy will blow me away and will serve me well for the most part of my university.;)