Advice on buying MBPr 2015 with business discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dichmann, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Dichmann macrumors newbie

Long-time reader, first-post poster

I currently run a Macbook Air 2010 - but I have considered upgrading to a MBPr 2015. I have the average student usage, but mixed with heavy safari browsing and light gaming such as Football Manager 2015 and Cities Skyline.

I currently have the option to buy my Mac through a company with 30% discount. My question is how much of a difference would 16 GB ram do for my type of usage - normally I keep my mac for 4-5 years and normally i wouldn't max out the ram, but due to the discount I have considered the option.

Likewise, would there be any significant advantage by waiting for the Skylake update, likely to hit in September/October?

The price difference is currently around 1000 danish crones for the base model with 256 GB 8 GB ram and the one with the 16 GB ram.

Is the difference significant and is it worth now I have the opportunity with the big discount?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. Dichmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thansk for the reply,

So i shouldn't worry to much about future proofing?

And do you have any idea how well the 6100 runs with light gaming like in my case? I'm not the best at reading the various benchmarks ;-)

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I own and use an mid-2012 rMBP 8/512 and late-2013 rMBP 16/1TB, and both are very useful for general tasks. I also need to buy a few more for my company later this year - and I have a couple of friends who work for Intel, here in the Portland OR area who I'm *sure* are testing the early versions of Skylake chips in PCs - I asked a similar question, should I wait? They won't answer any questions directly, but they smile wryly and offer "I'd wait...", which is good enough for me - I'm waiting...

5. Dichmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply - i am also very aware of the silenced hype that is around Skylake, so I have really considered waiting for Skylake!