Advice on buying new Macbook on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bjornm, Sep 4, 2010.

1. bjornm macrumors member

Hello all

I am considering buying a new, unopened Macbook Pro on Craigslist and wonder if any of you have any actual experiences with the transaction and/or warranty.

There are several ads out there and some seem 'legit', i.e. not obviously cheap and sellers that can write and speak properly.

Any advice?

2. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

Is it possible you can go meet them? [​IMG] Ask for some lots of pictures and maybe their username on a peice of paper next to each pic.

3. bjornm thread starter macrumors member

I will go and meet them. It is a cash transaction in a public place.

What I expect to see is:
    Unopened box (that would look as original to me)
    No original receipt

Don't know if I will be able to power up the machine. (If I were the seller I would probably not want that since, if the buyer changes his mind, the Macbook will be 'used' already).

4. chayes macrumors member

first of all, they shouldn't have an issue opening the box. they can reclose it again without any damage.

secondly, the best option is for you and the other person to set up an appointment at a genius bar and let them run a diagnostics test. that will guarantee that the person isn't selling you a faulty mac.

if you can't do that they should at least let you power it up and test drive it.

if they don't..i would say no go.

5. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Without a receipt there's a strong possibility that the MacBook is stolen. If it is stolen and the authorities find it in your possession you will not only lose the MacBook but you may be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods.

7. SPX macrumors member

Right -- why would someone have an unopened Mac, yet no receipt? I suppose there's always the story of "it was a gift." If that was so though, wouldn't they be able to get the receipt from the purchaser?

I'd be very uneasy about buying a new, unopened Mac, with no receipt off of Craigslist. The apparent savings off of purchasing it at a retail store wouldn't be worthwhile to me.

Best of luck to you.

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i got mine off craigs

it was sealed and he had the receipt so i bought it, otherwise there's not a chance i would