Advice on buying new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slicknick, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Slicknick macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

First and foremost, I was previously a die-hard PC / Android user (still think that customized desktops (so windows/PC) and android phones, for my wants, are better), but have converted to considering a rMBP and have already purchased an iPad air some months ago.

...So that leads me to my question, I currently have a Sony Vaio Pro 13 and the wireless issues are very frustrating, thus prompting me to sell it (if anyone has advice on where to sell it online, that would be great) and I am VERY interested in a rMBP. I love the specs from top to bottom, but am worried about a mid-cycle bump (sort of what the MBA received) of some sort which would result in me essentially wasting money. I would love to buy a MBA, but the screen isn't up to snuff after using my SVP 13s beautiful 1920 X 1080 enhanced HD screen. So essentially, what would your advice be on moving forward with a rMBP, I will upgrade to 8 GB of ram and potentially an I7, but a bit flippy floppy on the I7. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I think it's a fine time to buy a rMBP. I just picked one up at a great price. If you look for sales through Best Buy (especially coupled with student discount or coupons) or refurbished through Apple can save you some serious money. Is a refresh coming? Probably so, but if it is anything like the MBA refresh was, it is virtually the same machine. Plus there will always be something better coming out so if you wait for the refresh, there will still be another refresh in a few months that will make you want that one too.

3. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any sales ATM?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes. For example, Best Buy has all of their rMBP's on sale this week. Base model(normally 1299.00) was 1234.99. If you are a student or have a .edu email address or know anyone who does(or you can get one off of ebay) Best Buy gives you 150.00 off. If you go to your local post office and pick up a change of address packet, there will be a 10% off coupon for Best Buy which can be used on top of the 150 student discount. So my 1299 rMBP ended up being 976.00 after student discount and an additional 10 percent off. You can go for the higher configured models and use the same discounts. My budget was around a thousand, therefore I got the base model. My usage also doesn't really require a higher config but yours may.

Apple's refurb section on their website has some really nice deals as well. If you are able to get the student discount and the 10% off movers coupon, the Best Buy prices are better when you figure in their sale.

Either way it's a great time to get a rMBP for less than retail price.

5. Striker-UMB, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

Striker-UMB macrumors regular

There are some good sales right now just check out the electronic stores in your area. Also check out the refurbished store on Apples website, those computers are all in pristine condition and you will save hundreds buying a refurbed unit. You also get the same 14 day return window which is usually extended a little bit longer because of shipping. I had about 3 1/2 weeks to return mine when I ordered it, but I ended up keeping mine. You also get 1 year warranty and have the whole year to get apple care if you decide to do so.

6. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

What is this movers discount you speak of?

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If you go to your local Post Office, they will have a change of address packet they will give you. It has various coupons inside and one of them is 10% off one item at Best Buy. It cannot be used online, but it will stack with your student discount. Just hand it to the cashier after they apply your student discount, and it will take an additional 10% off of the price.

Any post office should have them. Just ask for a change of address packet. If for some reason your local Post Office doesn't have any, people sell the coupon on eBay for a couple of bucks. Definitely worth paying a couple of bucks to save almost 100 off of a Macbook!

8. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

Without a doubt! Now to decide between a 15" with 8GB RAM + 256 GB + the quad core i7 for 1670 or the 13" with 8 GB + 256 GB + 2.4 ghz clock speed (was hoping for 2.6 model, but unavailable) for 1216. Decisions decisions..Any insight :D?

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It all depends on what your usage entails. Unless you are a power user, I'd say the 13 inch model due to its increased portability and better battery life.

10. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am going with! I'm excited to have it tomorrow instead of waiting for it to be shipped, I can live with -.2 ghz, but save a boat load of money. So to clarify I go to USPS and just pick up a change of address packet, go to best buy, pick out the Mac Book, confirm student discount, give them the coupon and if the base price is 1424.99 I should walk out the door with 1216.34 (6% sales tax for MD), right?

11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes that sounds correct. Go ahead and confirm your student discount by putting your .edu email address in (Google "Best Buy student deals") and getting the coupon emailed to you. That way when you go in, you have that coupon ready (you can either print out a copy, or just have it pulled up on your phone and let them scan your phone), plus you will have the 10% off coupon from the change of address packet. Give them/let them scan the student discount first, then hand them the movers coupon.

I have done it twice, along with many others on MR and it has worked for most everyone. If for some reason the sales associate gives you a hard time using both coupons, tell them to try and scan it anyway, it works and their system accepts it.

Let us know how it turns out!

BTW that 6% sales tax must be nice. Ours is 9.5!

12. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm scared and nervous, both to see how the sale turns out and this is my first time venturing from a windows PC. The tablet wasn't that big of a change, but I reckon this will be!

13. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Now I have some advice for you.

Please try to use OSX for at least a week also read about OSX and watch tonnes of videos.

14. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

I will for sure, I'm sticking with it. As I graduate next semester and want to be IT business analyst / systems analyst, it would be great to be familiar with iOS.

15. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I picked up my first Mac 2 years ago after using Windows my whole life, using OSX for the first time was a breath of fresh air and my productivity has increased so much with multiple desktops feature.That and how well my iPad integrates with it.

I got myself a current 2013 rMBP with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and it screams through everything, and I think the screen is amazing.

16. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

I am typing on my new rMBP, 256GB SSD + 8 GB of RAM. I got it for the price of 1216.34 USD out the door, so everything worked as planned. Using all of the gestures, getting used to a few functions will take a while, but overall, I think I should be able to "master" it soon enough.

17. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Liking it so far?

18. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

Without a doubt, but I must say it is a bit warm.

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Well its more to do with the material of the laptop, metal conducts very well...

20. Slicknick thread starter macrumors newbie

I reckon that is correct, but I love the feel of the laptop. Also, this keyboard and trackpad is far and above any keyboard or trackpad I have ever used on a laptop. I don't think any laptop will ever be as good as my expensive mechanical keyboards, but this is the best experience I have had thus far. However, some applications open quite large (in comparison to my windows laptops) even when I have them open in low resolution, but oh well, only small qualm about it thus far. Everything else I am struggling through is simply getting myself adjusted.

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Its such a massive change from Windows...I'm not surprised.