Advice on buying now or later threads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orb1692, Apr 29, 2009.

1. orb1692 macrumors newbie

HI!!
    I've been skimming through some buy now or wait until snow leopard comes out but whats the difference between upgrading to snow leopard after it comes out on a current mac...or buy a mac after snow leopard comes out?
    Besides the cost of snow leopard is there really any difference as i am pretty worried about my recently purchased MacBook Pro and the revealing of OS X snow leopard later?

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether you buy a Mac with Snow Leopard pre-installed, or whether you buy Snow Leopard to upgrade your existing Mac, you're getting the same thing. Chances are, you probably won't see any difference in your day-to-day computer use, between Leopard and Snow Leopard. SL won't have a lot of new "features".

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

the only difference is saving a little $$

4. orb1692 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok that being said how much money do you believe SL will cost to upgrade to.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i thought that the whole point would be that you will see a difference because SL will utilize the graphics cards better. with the addition of OpenCL apps can use the graphics cards power to help run them. the operating system itself will run better due to it smaller size. also "GranCentral" that will be used in SL will manage the multi cores better. with all this i see Snow Leopard making a difference with everyday use.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

probably cost around $100.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

$129, like most OS upgrades.
    The average user doesn't tax Leopard's capabilities, so they probably won't notice any difference with SL. The enhancements you mentioned will most likely only be apparent to those who put more demands on their system than an average user (intense gaming, multimedia, etc.). Someone who uses a Mac for web surfing, document creation, emails, playing music, etc. won't see the difference. Not knowing which type of user the OP is, I said, "Chances are, you probably won't see any difference".

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea fair enough. i see what your saying. but dont you think that day to day stuff will be smoother?

9. orb1692 thread starter macrumors newbie

$129 seems like some money to be saved by just waiting a few months(guessing as i dont actually know when SL will be released)

I currently do Computer Engineering and Graphics Design.I also Do some MMORPG gaming and i get no problems with my MacBook Pro. Its the 2.66Ghz model,320Gb @7200rpm, 4Gb RAM.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

OP - Nearer the release date and after it, there will likely be a fair amount of benchmarking of various Macs and their performance on Leopard vs Snow Leopard. Current Macs and upcoming refreshes will be more suited to it basically. I wouldn't underestimate what it will do, or what the average user may well do after using - seeing as you've got iLife, possible iWork etc on an average Mac - I'd think it fair to say there are more than enough opportunities for Snow Leopard to make a day to day difference.