Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I'm looking to buy some sort of all-in-one for mainly printing and scanning. Things like a flash card reader are always nice too, but not necessary. I don't print off too many photos, although I may occasionally do so once I make my purchase. I mainly plan on using this as a productivity tool for printing off documents and scanning documents to send in emails. I'm sort of out of the loop in this area of computer hardware. I'm currently using a Dual 2.0 G5, but plan on upgrading to a Mac Book Pro within the next year. Any suggestions?

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I really love the all-in-one printers, i always try to buy one if i need a printer since i can do so much more. I only have used HP in the past and i have nothing bad to say about them but i hear canon makes better models.

Get a model that has a printer, scanner, copier and a fax. I dont use a fax much but some i do i do not need an extra device. I know canon sells a printer scanner and copier for around $80 and they do work well.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Wow. $80? I was planning on spending around $400. I guess I don't need all the bells and whistles. This makes me think that maybe I should just buy a new laptop from someplace like macmall.com and cash in on the freebies they have to offer. Then again, I should wait until 10.5 and or iLife '08 are released if I want to maximize my buy. Grrrr.... I hate waiting.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I like canon myself. If you are budgeted for $400 you have many to choose from, I would just go look around and see if any catch your eye. I would try to get one with multi-cartridge ink, though. I seem to go through blue/cyan twice the speed I go through other inks.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I like canon myself. If you are budgeted for $400 you have many to choose from, I would just go look around and see if any catch your eye. I would try to get one with multi-cartridge ink, though. I seem to go through blue/cyan twice the speed I go through other inks.

I've always gone with Canon for camera needs, so I may look into them for printer/scanner. I may also not spend $400 if I don't need to. Is there really a need to if I don't print photographs that much? I'm having a hard time thinking of uses aside from printing and scanning documents and the occasional fax.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Well, you can always buy a cheap one at walmart or something, try it out and return it within 45 days if it doesn't fit your needs. Even though I do love my Canon printer, the one thing that does irk me is that sometimes the ink tends to bleed on fine (small) text, but it works great for photographs and images on paper.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
HP makes good models but so do brother. I've got a HP Color Laserjet 2840 with an automatic document feeder. It's an all-in-one with fax, scan and photocopier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.