Advice on buying RAM...Aluminium Macbook 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by to1986, Oct 29, 2009.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

was looking to upgrade from the standard 2gb RAm to 4gb, but needed advice as I am not too familiar with this. Ive been told crucial and OWC are good brands. Was looking on the crucial website and it gave me two options. Either a 4GB (2x2GB) or a 2GB stick. Is it ok to buy a 2GB stick as I already have 2Gb on my system, or do i need to buy the 4GB. Is there anything else i need to consider when buying. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You will need 2x2GB.
    You currently have 2x1GB of RAM; if you buy a 2GB stick you will replace one of the 1GB sticks you have, so you'll have a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick equalling 3GB. So buy the 2x2GB set.

3. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

As tristangage said the 2x2Gb sticks are your best option. You could go with 1x2Gb stick and keep one of your old 1Gb stick for a total of 3Gb which is not a bad option if you are in a budget but keep in mind that you will be giving up your dual memory channel capability (a minor hit in memory performance).
    Either Crucial or OWC will be a fine choice for you...
    Good luck.

4. Vashed555 macrumors newbie

Vashed555

OR, you could drop some serious cash on a 4gb RAM stick, and then buy a 2Gb stick, and have a total of 6gb of memory... :p

Just sayin...

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The serious cash part is what would put me off :p
    Besides, without two sticks of equal memory, you don't get dual-channel support.

6. Vashed555 macrumors newbie

Vashed555

It's not dual channel suppot. The difference has been measured several times, and there is no noticeable slow-down with the 4gb stick added to the 2gb actually. It's just uber pricey.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It has? Where are the results of these tests?