Advice on buying the mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by fullauto, Jun 24, 2015.

1. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Hi all,

Found a decent deal on a Mac Mini here in Australia, there's one left so I'll grab it first thing tomorrow (hopefully, with your help!).

For use as a media centre on a Sony Bravia, movies/photos, web, minor spreadsheet work, sims / RCT.

Model - MGEN2x/A - 2.6ghz i5 / 8gb / 1TB 5400 HDD.

Have read many disappointing comments about the hard drive - what are my options for upgrading with this model? I've tried searching online but can't find any info for model MGEN2x/A?

Thanks for your help!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can upgrade it to a 1TB Fusion Drive or a 256GB SSD, from the Apple Online store.

There are no user-replaceable parts in the Mac Mini. Doing so will void the warranty.

And you'll dearly regret one without at least a Fusion Drive upgrade.

3. fullauto thread starter macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Sadly it's $450 extra going through Apple. This is the resellers last one in stock - they don't have the fusion available.

I don't mind voiding the warranty, is the HDD really not upgradable?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well then in that case, it's upgradeable but not easy. It's not for the faint hearted (that's if you want to replace the spinning drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD).

The easy way out is to buy the relevant PCIe SSD part from eBay as well as the corresponding PCIe flex cable.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Also consider an external ssd. Preferably thunderbolt.

6. grcar Suspended

grcar

You mean MGEN2LL/A late 2014 macmini7,2. This is the mid-range of the models currently in production. If you are buying from Apple you can get ssd storage.